Thursday 15 November 2012

Scottish National 4km Cross Country Championships, 11th November 2012

The winter so far has panned out nicely with a race every fortnight, every one a cross country. The Saturdays in between have been spent doing efforts on muddy grass. Coupled with my weekly midweek hill sessions, again on a mud strewn grass surface, I'm spending more time running about in mud than I did during my childhood. My Mum certainly isn't thanking me for the state I'm leaving the shower in after each training session or race. 
 
I had been feeling some pain and discomfort around the groin areas and hips which, coupled with very cold and slippery conditions saw me struggle a little during the Monday track session. After the Tuesday club run, I started tapering down with a shortened Wednesday hill session (6 reps instead of 12), a 6 miler with some fast 30 second sprints incorporated (6:17 per mile pace overall) on Thursday, a night off on Friday and 2 sets of 1 minute, 2 minutes, 1 minute with 1 minute jogs between reps and 5 minute jogs between sets on Saturday morning. I hoped for some inspiration that afternoon from Queen's Park as they took on Stranraer in a Scottish Cup 3rd round replay. 2 red cards and 4 goals conceded wasn't quite what I had in mind so we've now exited the Scottish Cup twice in the same calendar year with 4-0 scorelines. The wait for the next final appearance goes on.
 
All my recent race appearances have had an edge to them. On one hand, it is a great motivator. On the other, I've found myself getting incredibly nervous more and more. I confess to looking forward to the festive period and the chance to race something more low key.
 
160 athletes lined up for this Sunday race in its second year occupying a mid November slot straight after the relays. On the starter's gun, the field charged into the first of the two 2km circuits. I was caught slightly cold by the pace, finding myself almost sprinting and, what looked to me, struggling to be in the first 20. Heavy rain during the week and some junior and the senior ladies races beforehand meant underfoot, while runnable, was slippery and boggy. I convinced myself however it was no worse than any of my training sessions to keep in a positive mindset. I battled out the first lap keeping on the coat tails of a large leading group. I spotted Ross Houston (Central) through the crowd and decided to track him. This took me by 2 or 3 people including another Cambuslang man, Jack Hamilton as I reached the start-finish area to launch into the second circuit. I eventually lost Houston in a sea of arms and legs.
 
While staying in touch, I couldn't make any headway on the leaders. Stephen Trainer (Greenock Glenpark) has shown some good form in the relays and I knew he was close from the shouts of spectators. Working my way round, I tried to find the best possible areas of ground to ensure smooth progress and hold onto what I had. Another Cambuslang man, Wegene Tafese, had dropped back a bit. This was our first club championship race and passing Wegene would give me the early lead. I dug deep enough to pass him on the turn into the home straight and, in the end, forge a 3 second gap.
 
My efforts were enough for 10th place and a time of 12:37. Mark Mitchell (Forres), a runner with a 7:59 3000m to his name, won the race in 12:18, a single second ahead of David Vernon (VP City of Glasgow) and 3 clear of 3rd placed Ross Houston. Wegene came one place behind me. Myself, Wegene, Ben Hukins (18th, 12:55) and David Munro (19th, 12:58) took the team silver medals for Cambuslang behind Central. Iain MacCorquodale (20th, 13:00) and Jack Hamilton (23rd, 13:06) were unlucky to miss the medals. Competition within the club though, that's exactly what I want to see. 
 
After a spot of relaxation, a roll and cup of tea, I warmed down by running 4.5 miles to the Gorbals to visit my Gran, my Dad taking my car and meeting me there. This weekend, another grass training session. Next race stop, Liverpool for the European Cross Country Trial race, more for the experience than anything else. In any case, to paraphrase the song associated with the city, I'll travel down and run on with hope in the heart. Having seen us lose 2-1 in the league 3 days after the Cup exit, hopefully the Spiders do likewise soon on the football pitch.
 
Cambuslang Senior Men Results
 
10th: Stuart Gibson, 12:37
11th: Wegene Tafese, 12:40
18th: Ben Hukins, 12:55
19th: David Munro, 12:58
20th: Iain MacCorquodale, 13:00
23rd: Jack Hamilton, 13:06
53rd: Alistair Campbell, 13:47
90th: George Pettit, 15:01
91st: Scott Hunter, 15:04
98th: Alick Walkinshaw, 15:08
131st: Robert Rossborough, 16:34
 

No comments:

Post a Comment