Wednesday 7 November 2012

October Relays

October wasn’t the best of months for me outside running. Stressed to a dreadful degree at work and my Dad’s poor health still without diagnosis means, the majority of the time, while I’ve been present at training and races physically, my mind has been elsewhere. This post will round up my next two race outings for the month following Edinburgh.

West District Cross Country Relay Championships, 13th October 2012
The day began with my Dad taking a turn for the worse. I gave him every chance but by midday, it was clear it wasn’t going to happen for him and, being too late to withdraw my participation, had no option but to leave for Kilmarnock on my own, all the while trying to put the morning out of my mind and focus on the race. I resolved to put on a brave face, collected my number and headed to the course to the rear of St Josephs Academy.

Being assigned last leg for the first team gave me a window to walk the entire 4km course during the senior women's race. Kilbarchan opened up a commanding lead with Elspeth Curran on the first leg which they never surrendered. Happily however, our ladies team made a bit of history by being both the first Cambuslang ladies trio in this race and the first medallists, in second place. Alex Lamond got us off to a good start then Katie Bristow and Mhairi Brown finished the job.

Jack Hamilton kicked our first team off, bringing us in first in a time of 12:34, 17 seconds ahead of Bobby Quinn (Kilbarchan). Iain MacCorquodale (12:51) kept us there ahead of a hard chasing Sean Fontana (VP City of Glasgow). Wegene Tafese, with the fastest leg of the day (12:12), meant I had to avoid a complete botch up to secure gold medals.

A lot of people had been talking negatively about the course, e.g. "it's well chewed up" and "wait til you get to the hill." I had walked round to make up my own mind. It was no worse than some of my High Point hill sessions. I negotiated the first, flat muddy section then hurtled downhill to a large, grassy field. There was a climb to come. I had run a cross country here before where the route took us directly uphill. I got a boost when I saw it was a zig zag upwards instead. This gave me a view of the chasing VP City of Glasgow runner, Max Ralston. I was keeping a safe distance. The route then went through some narrow woodland before re-entering the muddy, flat section. I knew it was difficult to produce a vintage time running more or less solo the entire way but I was working hard and keeping my form.

Above: working hard in the later stages. Photos courtesy of Westerlands Running Club.

The coaches encouraged me to enjoy the later stages. While not slackening off, some of our youngsters encouraged me to give them a smile which, being about 200m from the finish, did make me laugh. I didn't milk the occasion, choosing to give a solitary fist in the air as I finished with a time of 12:38. Ralston had gained 6 seconds on me but the other 3 guys had done most of the hard work for me.

My first ever gold medal at any District or National Championship certainly gave me some welcome cheer. It was also Cambuslang's first medal in the senior men race for at least 6 years. Plenty to cheer. All I needed was my Dad to be a bit better.


Above: Cambuslang male, female and vet male medallists, left to right (back)- Colin Feechan, Alex Lamond, Katie Bristow, Mhairi Brown, left to right (front)- Dave Thom, myself, Wegene Tafese, Jack Hamilton, Iain MacCorquodale, missing from photo- Greg Hastie, Michael O'Hagan.


National Cross Country Relay Championships, 27th October 2012

What's it called? Cumbernauld. Yes, I've cracked that joke before but I can't think of a better one...or another one! Pleasingly, my Dad was in finer fettle and took the strain of driving off me. We stuck with the same winning quartet from Kilmarnock, changing only the running order by swapping myself to first leg and Jack to last. On getting my number, I slipped out the school quietly to check out the course.

I arrived at Cumbernauld Park early enough to cheer on some of our athletes in the junior males race then saw the senior women's race. Alex again ran first leg, establishing us in a top 10 position with an excellent 4th place. Katie kept us in contention then new member Kirsty Anderson, fresh from a triathlon in New Zealand, brought us in 6th place. An excellent result for our fast developing ladies section which I'm delighted to see. I was pretty nervous beforehand. The pace up the first hill was relentless but I told myself to keep the head. A tough thing to do when you're around 10th place and don't recognise a number of runners ahead.

Above: first leg bun fight, trying to keep my cool.

Eventually, things started to settle. I told myself to trust my hill training and pick people off. Soon, I was getting close to the front. David Vernon was blazing a trail for VP City of Glasgow followed by Dougie Selman (Corstorphine) and Luke Traynor (Giffnock North). I gave it my all and worked my way into 4th.

 
Above: looking scarily thin in 4th place pounding it on a downhill. Photo courtesy of Kenny Phillips.

I was closing on Traynor with every stride but ran out of ground, finishing in 13:11, a couple of seconds behind him and 22 seconds adrift of the leader Vernon. Unfortunately, 4th was where we stayed despite determined efforts from Iain (13:42), Wegene (13:12) and Jack (13:42) on the next legs. Central eventually moved clear to win while Jack gave chase to Sean Fontana (VP City of Glasgow) and Mickey Breen (Corstorphine) before seeming to run slightly out of steam. Not to worry, a strong team showing and 2013 is another year.

My Dad then chauffered me back to East Kilbride to let me pull on my glad rags for the Scottish Athletics Awards night. Good fun as always and light relief at the end of a stressful month in many ways.







No comments:

Post a Comment