Thursday 8 November 2012

Amazing Who You Meet 6

This year's Scottish Athletics Awards night, which followed the National Cross Country Relay, was the 5th consecutive year I've had the privelige of attending. One of these years, maybe I'll actually be nominated for something. Whitemoss AAC take a table every year and I must have done something right for the club over the years since I keep getting asked along.
 
Over the years, I've been fortunate enough to meet Paula Radcliffe, Sebastien Coe, Roger Black and this year's Guest of Honour, Paralympian David Weir. The only guest I would consider a let down would be Daley Thomson in 2010 who turned up for the evening in a tracksuit. A shirt and tie at least surely!
 
Recent newly wed Freya Murray Ross also happened to be in attendance having been nominated in a couple of categories. Those involved in UK athletics will be aware of Freya, multiple Scottish cross country champion, UK international on various surfaces and the highest placed British lady in the Olympic marathon this summer, a remarkable result after only replacing Paula Radcliffe shortly before the Games. She happened to come over to a group I was in conversation with and we got talking. She also kindly agreed to a photograph. Thanks to one of my Whitemoss friends, Willie Sutherland, for doing the honours.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment