Friday 5 November 2010

Scottish Athletics Awards Dinner, 30th October 2010

Thank you to David Robertson for the photographs in this post.

My attendance at this was for no other reason than a perk of being Whitemoss Athletics Club's treasurer, a role I actually relinquished at the club's AGM the previous Monday. Whitemoss purchase a table for 10 every year. The club has won things before, being named Scottish Athletics Club of the Year in 2000 and 2004. Honorary member Allan Scott also won Scottish Athlete of the Year in 2008.

Whitemoss was my first athletics club. I joined at the age of 12. From 1996-2001, I was an active athlete before drifting away to Calderglen Harriers and Glasgow University. I still competed occasionally but without any involvement week to week. I returned after uni in 2006 taking on website duties. Click here to have a look. I then became treasurer in February 2007. Now, I am Mens League manager, website man and compete when the occasion allows. I have a great affinity for the club which is why I stay involved in some form.

This was my third consecutive year attending the awards. There is always a guest of honour. In 2008, it was Paula Radcliffe who was a lovely person. I was fortunate to spend a few minutes speaking to her before the formal part of the evening began. We have one thing (yes, just the one) in common, we are both asthma sufferers. She was very generous with her time, discussing how she coped with asthma. Last year it was Sebastian Coe who I found to be a friendly enough guy. He did what he had to do- made a speech, presented some awards and gave autographs and photographs. This year was former Olympic multi events man Daley Thomson. Incidentally the guests one year were pop group The Cheeky Girls. Sadly I wasn't at that one.

Dress wise, I had the option of my dinner suit or kilt. Either way, it was Halowe'en weekend so I wouldn't look daft. I opted for the suit.


Above: heading for the train to Glasgow

I met club secretary Mark Stringer and newly appointed auditor Willie Sutherland on the train and we headed together to the Marriot Hotel. The red carpet was out. Perhaps not for us. Some time was spent mingling before we were seated. I got chatting to former South Lanarkshire Development Officer Jim Goldie who now works for Scottish Athletics and Kilmarnock Harrier Scott Martin who I've become acquainted with from many meetings at races.

We were seated, some awards were presented then dinner was served. It was filling by the standards of some of these occasions I've attended. The many awards continued. Whitemoss ended its trophy drought in style with two awards. Mark Stringer received the Newcomer to Officiating award. This was very well deserved for someone who has worked tirelessly to keep Whitemoss going at a time when volunteers have been few and far between. 18 year old John Robertson won Young Volunteer of the Year. John is another unsung hero of the club. I can think of few people who deserved their awards more than Mark and John. Commonwealth 400m hurdles silver medallist Eildh Child took the top prize.

Daley Thomson's part took the form of a sit down interview. I wasn't very taken with him. The main reason was his clothing. He could have made more of an effort to dress more appropriately than a fleece and red shirt. Even if it's not your thing, would it hurt to dress more formally for a couple of hours? I got my photograph and autograph. Beyond that, I was unimpressed. The next photo shows myself and John Robertson with Thomson.

A ceildh followed with The William Marshall Ceildh Band. After a fairly pleasant night, just after midnight, five of the Whitemoss delegation were left. We agreed that the night was still young and headed into town. The eldest of our group, Willie Sutherland, knew of a bar with a late licence called The Blue Dog. We found it, in West George Street I think, and had a few more laughs and drinks with some excellent live music from a solo performer until closing at 3am. Thank goodness the clock went back an hour that night. If you're ever having a night out in Glasgow and fancy relaxing in a pub environment a little later rather than a nightclub, track down The Blue Dog. My first visit will not be my last.

Above: enjoying the atmosphere in The Blue Dog, Glasgow, left to right: myself, Willie Sutherland, David Robertson, John Robertson, Mark Stringer.

We beat the mad rush, getting a taxi back to East Kilbride no problem and I managed my 13 mile run on Sunday morning with no ill effects (well, not TOO many).


No comments:

Post a Comment