Saturday 27 November 2010

Hugh Wilson Memorial 10km Road Race, 27th November 2010

Both photos in this post are courtesy of http://www.roadrunpics.com/.

Today, the Hugh Wilson Memorial 10km Road Race took place in East Kilbride. Hugh Wilson was a member of the host club, East Kilbride Athletics Club, who was tragically killed on his way home from work when knocked off his bicycle in the middle of a main road. My Dad, who used to run for East Kilbride, was a team mate and counted Hugh as a good friend. East Kilbride have always hosted a road race. Since Hugh's untimely death, it has been named after him.

Last night, I attended my friend's brother's engagement party in Shawlands. I felt drained after a tough week at work so, not feeling like drinking, took my car. I was glad I did when I came out the "Church on the Hill" Bar and Restaurant just after midnight to a snow blizzard. Queen's Park's match with Clyde today bit the dust due to Scottish referees taking strike action but the weather would have put paid to it anyway. Having also trained in the morning and needing something to make my mind off my work, I ventured down to the John Wright Sports Centre to give some support to anyone from Cambuslang or my former club Calderglen who was competing.

Two Cambuslang Harriers, Robert Gilroy and Kirsty Grant (both pictured below running the City of Stirling 10k), and a good turnout of my former team mates, lined up in a sadly small field of around 100 athletes, the weather no doubt influencing many people's decisions. Personally, I've been building up to next Saturday's West District Cross Country and didn't feel focussed enough to race. I hope it all pays off. I got myself a vantage point which let me see a good chunk of the race. 
Robert Gilroy (red vest)
Kirsty Grant

Early on, Robert was facing a challenge from Pitreavie's Jeff Farquhaur. By the time I first saw him around 2km in, he was winning that battle and building up a commanding lead. Kirsty meanwhile was overcoming illness and work commitments over the last week, positioning herself as 3rd lady ahead of some decent runners including training partner Claire MacArthur, back running after becoming a mother 6 weeks ago.

The route is a little enclosed around cycle paths and roundabouts so my vantage point let me see the athletes on two occasions. While waiting, I had a chat with fellow Harrier Alistair Campbell, on his way out for the afternoon, and some other Calderglen Harriers. On the return trip past me, Robert was keeping his momentum going, cheered on by his parents. Jeff Farquhaur was now clear in 2nd place. Kirsty was still 3rd lady. Mindful of her missed training this week, I encouraged her to lengthen her stride and use the downhill section to her advantage. Calderglen runners Martin Duthie, Alan Cullie, Eddie Reid, George Stewart, David Herbertson, Jim Holmes and Colin Banks also looked to be putting in good shifts in the cold, slippery conditions.

From there, I switched position to the final kilometre stretch into the finish. Robert was too quick for me because the first runner I saw was Jeff Farquhaur. Calderglen's Martin Duthie was running strongly towards finishing 4th. If there was a team prize, Calderglen may have got it. Kirsty was now looking tired and had been caught by Claire and a Calderglen lady. There was nothing in it though, a sprint finish would still have sealed her 3rd lady's prize. She had clearly put a lot into the race. I gave her all the encouragement I could and just hoped having someone shout you on when you were spent at least helped a little.

Robert won in 32:22 ahead of Jeff Farquhaur and Kirsty clocked 44:08 for 5th lady, quicker than her last 10k but a minute away from her personal best. Plenty still to come. Paula Wilson of Kilmarnock Harriers won the ladies race. I'm unsure who was 2nd but Claire MacArthur sneaked the 3rd lady's award ahead of Calderglen's runner.

My thoughts now turn to my own big race a week from now at the time of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment