Sunday 14 November 2010

A Tale of Two Races Part Two

Following my run at Glasgow Uni, I felt I had done enough to earn a little refreshment that evening. I therefore enjoyed a beer in the house watching that hideous, Simon Cowell led entertainment show on ITV that dominates British society to an unhealthy degree. I need a drink to enjoy it now. It's the same brainwashing format every year. Don't get the wrong idea however. I made three low alcohol pints of beer last all night because, one, I was driving the next morning and two, I would be racing again. I got tucked up in bed by midnight and had a great sleep.

On Sunday I made the short drive through to the picturesque market town of Strathaven, finding my way to Kirkland Park Primary School to collect my number and timing chip. This was the Strathaven Striders Run With The Wind 10k. Three Cambuslang Harriers had beaten the 350 runner limit- myself, Colin Feechan and Kirsty Grant. We got together and boarded one of the eight coaches transporting us through the country roads on East Kilbride's outskirts to the race start at Whitelee Windfarm. There are two entrances, one is on Eaglesham Moor with a recently opened Visitor Centre. We were going to the other one only five miles from my home. Various things were discussed on the way up such as my race the day before, Colin's memories of Strathaven as a young lad and when and where Kirsty was going to have her first go at a cross country.
Above: the first photo shows where the race started from. The second one is in Whitelee itself. Both were taken by me during a Sunday run in December 2009.

This race for me, in football terms, was what you would call a home game. Whitelee Windfarm is a regular training venue and I was also familiar with the country roads from training. The race is "point to point." This means you start in one place and finish somewhere else. Our task was to run 10km back to Strathaven, hence, why we had been transported into rural Lanarkshire. My main opposition seemed to be last year's winner Robert Turner, so I was told. As far as I'm concerned though, anyone who turns up at a race can beat you. Everyone who puts their toe on the line is opposition in my eyes.

We set off on the fairly steep downhill first 2km. I found myself at the front but resisted temptation to fire everything. I had raced the day before and I also knew there were some climbs to come. I ran along quite relaxed, lengthening my stride as much as possible. My legs were holding out. The field were keeping pace. I injected some faster surges at different points. By 4km, I was gradually pulling clear.

I had a lead car to follow throughout with a little boy who looked out his window a few times to encourage me. It also had a clock at the back which I tried desparately not to look at. I went through 5km in 15:40. My legs were now hurting. I was keen for the pace to remain constant. There was a lot of talking out loud, encouraging myself to keep going. Things like "move the arms," "keep the knee lift high" or a simple "come on ya big wimp."  At one point, you go by Strathaven Airfield. It surprises me a budget airline hasn't bought it up yet and renamed it Glasgow Strathaven Airport. At 9km, I reached Strathaven and negotiated a welcome slight downhill, a left turn, an unwelcome slight uphill into Kirkland Park then an 80-100m grass straight into the finish. I finished in a tired and sore 31:34, only 22 seconds slower than my personal best. Robert Turner came through in 33:12 followed by Barry Paterson (34:12). There was local success with East Kilbride's Kevin Downie taking 4th overall in 34:29 and first veteran.

Having received my goody bag, stopped coughing and congratulated the three runners previously mentioned, I wandered back out to cheer in Colin and Kirsty. Colin was 3rd in his age category and declared himself satisfied with 37 minutes which shows a gradual return to form. Kirsty finished as 5th lady with a new best by over a minute of 43:07 and declared she is looking to run even faster. I for one am certain she will be doing so sooner rather than later.

The three of us warmed down together before getting some complimentary hot soup and a roll as we waited for the prize giving at the school. I was delighted to receive a £100 sports voucher but even more so with the engraved silver pewter Highland Quaich. This is a shallow drinking bowl with two handles, known as "lugs," originating in the Scottish Highlands. It was used to offer both welcome and farewell drinks to visitors. This quaich is strictly for display purposes only. It's fair to say I've had worse weekends.

Overall this was a very well organised race by a friendly club. I've given a few website links below to give a flavour of the race setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment