Sunday 20 September 2015

Southern Scandinavia Jaunt Part 1- The Arrival

Such is how memorable my 4 day trip turned out to be, I feel one report cannot do it justice so I have divided it into 4 parts. Part 1 follows below.

After what seemed to be a considerably long wait and anticipation building with every passing day, it was finally time for me to board a flight from Edinburgh Airport for my return visit to Scandinavia after 11 years. That's not to say that I didn't have some trepidation when departure day came because it would be my first ever trip abroad completely on my own. The desire to return though was simply too great so I bit the bullet and booked it.

So, on Friday 11th September, a 90 minute flight to Copenhagen Airport and a short train journey from there deposited me in Copenhagen City Centre at around 7pm. Then, with the aid of a city map, I found what would be my accommodation for the next 3 nights, the Hotel Ansgar, where I demonstrated the full range of my Danish vocabulary when checking in, hello (hej) and thank you (tack). I decided to jog a couple of miles to shake the journey out my system and was reminded very quickly about the popularity of bicycles as a mode of transport in this part of the world, nearly being run over by them at least twice. Bicycles however are accommodated, being allocated their own space on the road and even, in some parts, their own traffic lights. UK cities could learn a lot from their Scandinavian counterparts. I guess it served me right for straying into the bicycle lanes.

I was in several minds what to do about dinner and eventually settled for a pizza from the convenience store, 7-11, a very popular presence in Danish and Swedish towns, cities and train stations. Think McDonalds or Burger King only healthier. I also popped into a Lidl supermarket for some rolls and cold meat which I thought would be ideal for lunches or snacks on the various excursions I planned to embark on. In addition, I bought what I thought was a pint of milk for a cup of tea in my hotel room. I now know flødeskum is in fact cream! Milk definitely goes better with tea.

After a good night's sleep, a short pre-breakfast jog (well out of harm's way this time) and breakfast in the hotel (strictly milk only in my tea), I decided if you can't beat them, join them and hired a bicycle from the hotel. I had details of where to collect my number for the half marathon the next day but little idea how to get there. A visit to the Tourist Information Office informed me that I would need to take the number 14 bus. This left me with a dilemma. It was now just after 11am. Should I take the bus to the race expo and risk not getting back in time for the visit to Lund I, truth be told, was really here for? Alternatively should I get to Lund and simply make sure I surfaced early enough the next day to be at the race venue with plenty time to spare?

The answer will be revealed in part 2 later this week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment