Thursday 17 September 2015

British Milers Club Grand Prix, Watford, 27th June 2015

Deep breath, time to catch up on my report backlog.
British Milers Club membership is something I've been very proud to achieve. I'd been assured that the BMC's meeting in Watford was one to experience so, just for the hell of it, I submitted an entry for the 5000m, expecting it to be deferred. To my astonishment, it was accepted. I knew about the high demand for places so securing one served as a great motivator to train. I churned out 6 good weeks of training, accompanied some of the time by long time Cambuslang Harrier Stevie Wylie, and flew down on the Saturday morning quietly confident. I'd booked an overnight stay after the race in the Hilton (a bargain price thanks to laterooms.com) which also let me rest up during the day. I was in the B 5000m, the last race of a packed programme, at around 9.30pm. My fears that this would mean no-one would still be around to watch proved unfounded. A few other Scottish athletes were racing 5000s too, Alistair Hay, Mark Pollard and, in the same race as me, Jonny Glen and Craig Ruddy.
I got a taxi from the hotel to the Woodside Stadium, timing my arrival to have just enough time to soak up the atmosphere but also not be hanging around for too long. The last 3 races were the women's 5000m and the men's A and B 5000s and, to enhance the atmosphere, spectators were permitted to occupy lanes 5-8 on the back and home straights. By now, light was also fading slightly and the noise levels were building. I took a tunnel vision approach, following my usual warm up routine, blocking out the excitement surrounding the men's A and women's races and, before long, took my place on the line.
My training diary for the race reads "Awesome experience. What an atmosphere. What a race. 3rd last in a PB! Says it all." I was in a very strong field, most of whom turned out to be simply too good for me. I set off at 14:35 pace but took several laps to leave the back marker spot. I maintained the pace to halfway then dug in for the second half. (Much) further ahead of me, there was clearly something special happening and I kept hearing the name Alex Yee in commentary. He ended up winning in 14:09.18, a European Under 20 qualifying time. An incredible run for a 17 year old. The crowds grew and the noise level increased. I really hurt in the later stages but with the atmosphere building with every lap, you couldn't help but keep going. I remained engaged in my own mini battles with runners around me. I knew I was tight for a personal best but, in the last kilometre in particular, I really pushed for it. Despite dropping a place in the final 200m, I did enough to finish in a new best of 14:44.54. Incredibly, this saw me place 16th out of 18 finishers. That was the least of my worries because I had clocked the sort of time I'd travelled for. Jonny and Craig were 14 and 10 seconds ahead of me respectively.
After a post race debrief with Jonny, Craig, Mark and also Stephen Mackay from Inverness who had raced a 1500m, the effort had churned my stomach and I had to find a quiet spot in some trees to get some relief through my mouth (I don't wish to be crude, work it out yourself). Afterwards, I warmed down with Jonny and Craig and, having kindly been given a phone number to call by the driver who dropped me off, got a taxi back to the hotel. The following day comprised an easy 5 miles before breakfast then the flight back to Glasgow.
I loved this meeting and, without doubt, want back into it a second time. I've probably not done the occasion sufficient justice so, for more complete details, the BMCs own write up is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment