Thursday 30 June 2011

Sunderland City 10k, 26th June 2011

Photos are courtesy of http://www.marathon-photos.com/.


When the Bupa Great North 10k was switched to Gateshead this year, Sunderland City Council moved quickly to establish a race in its place. Therefore, the inaugural Sunderland City 10k was born. I have family who stay in Durham and, having not seen them for a little while, decided that entering this race represented a good excuse to pay a little visit. I therefore let the train take the strain on Saturday morning and stayed with my aunt and uncle in the nearby village of Brancepeth. It's a pleasant train journey, taking in some scenic coastline. Saturday afternoon and evening was spent relaxing catching up with my aforementioned aunt and uncle and various cousins. I also sponsored one of my younger cousins who was due to run a 5k in July. I passed on some advice about not starting too quickly which, as you will see, I failed to heed of the next day. Plans were made to get to Sunderland for the 10.30am start and, after a steak and a couple of glasses of red wine for dinner, I turned in at 11pm.

My uncle drove me through to Sunderland FC's Stadium of Light for the race while my aunt attended mass at Brancepeth's St Brandon's Church to round up more 5k sponsors. The heat struck me quite early on. The mercury was easily over 20 degrees. I still felt reasonably confident of running well. The weekend before, I had run two personal bests in 3 days on the track over 3000m (8:41.27) and 5000m (14:57.30). I took great delight from the latter since it was my first clocking under 15 minutes on a track for 5000m.

We headed out away from the Stadium turning right onto the Monkwearmouth Bridge. A leading group had quickly formed, one of whom was local athlete Ian Hudspith who ran 29:42 at the Great Manchester 10k in May. I didn't know this stat at the time and was trying to keep up. The pace as we approached 1km wasn't far away from what I did at Bristol. However, it was a lot hotter than it had been that day and it wasn't long before I started struggling.


Above: the short lived leading group on the Monkwearmouth Bridge. Ian Hudspith is in the blue vest.

As we got to 2km, I was blowing apart spectacularly. Hudspith slowly started moving away from me. Since I was already clear of the rest of the field, I faced a long solo 8km to the finish. There was a downhill stretch to the waterfront. I checked my watch for the first time at 5km as I headed out to the Marina. 15:31, not the worst, but I was hot, sweating and had a pair of heavy legs. Unusually for a race this length, I was (gratefully) taking fluid at the water stations, pouring most of it over my head. What goes down of course has to go back up and 6km saw a long drag from the Marina into Roker Park.

I had no idea, and couldn't care less, about my pace now. A circuit around Roker Park was followed by a descent back onto the Marina then the inevitable climb back out then a route back towards the stadium, crossing the Monkwearmouth Bridge again. I was a grateful man to see the Stadium of Light again. I managed to raise a smile to acknowledge the spectators as I hobbled across the finish line a knackered, dehydrated runner up in a time of 32:35.
Above: approaching the finish.



I had taken a painful 17:04 to run the second 5km but I stubbornly stuck to one of my golden rules of racing- never drop out no matter how bad it gets. I've had more than a few mediocre results over the years due to this but I'd rather that than have DNF (Did Not Finish) next to my name. Ian Hudspith had clearly suffered too if his winning time of 31:15 is anything to go by. The finishing funnel took me through the bus entrance to pitchside to collect my medal, t shirt and "goody bag" and generally tell anyone who would both listen and could understand my accent how warm it was.

I reconvened with my uncle who was thoroughly enjoying his morning and mightily impressed with my second place finish. I had a presentation to hang around for which took place in one of the stadium lounges. We wandered in to see Steve Cram of all people would be doing the honours. I got talking to another Scottish athlete, Rosie Smith, who had finished 2nd woman and 9th overall in a time of 36:42 running for Durham City Harriers. We had made acquaintance previously at the Home Countries Cross Country in Antrim.

I was duly presented with a £100 shoe voucher and helped myself to some pasta at a buffet in the room, whether I was meant to or not (well I walked up with a plate and the lady said "what would you like?"). I then headed back to Brancepeth where I went out a 10 minute jog to at least ease the stifness in my legs. After more relaxation and a spot of dinner, I said my goodbyes and got the 17.18 train from Durham to Glasgow. I got the bonus today of some prize money- £100.

This race has great potential to grow and I hope it does. Flatten the hills and turn the temperature down though.

Result

Men
1. Ian Hudspith, Morpeth Harriers, 31:15; 2. Stuart Gibson, Ronhill Cambuslang, 32:35; 3. Liam Taylor, Sunderland Strollers, 34:59

Women
1. Sonia Samuels, 34:33 (3rd overall), 2.Rosie Smith, Durham City Harriers, 36:42 (9th overall); 3. Michelle Holt, Sunderland Harriers & Athletics Club, 39:47 (25th overall)

No comments:

Post a Comment