Wednesday 1 June 2011

Scottish Mens League Division 2 Match 2, 22nd May 2011

It was back to Grangemouth for the second of this year's four meetings. Whitemoss were the early pacesetters in Division 2 but I was struggling a bit for numbers this time. School and university exams and the British Masters Relay Championships in Birmingham put paid to a number of my hopefuls. I had 8 athletes, including myself, and the required 3 officials. One of those athletes, sprinter Zach Bryson, twinged a hamstring in the long jump leading to an early managerial reshuffle. At least it kept me occupied until the 5000m, my only race of the day. One of my throwers, Michael Brennan, was absent due to his wedding. I got an able replacement in East Kilbride's Keith Garrow to partner my star signing from last year, Ian Smith, a former American footballer with East Kilbride Pirates.

With Cambuslang's coaches watching my training and racing like hawks these days (hello guys), I strictly restricted myself to a 5000m. My days of doubling, trebling (or quadrupling) at league meetings are numbered. I'd had a so-so training week, dominated by post Bristol fatigue, comprising:-

Monday 16th: 7-7.5 miles easy (46:38)- very little energy, night after Bristol 10k.
Tuesday: Club, 6.5-7 miles easy (45:42)- feeling better but kept it gentle as a precaution.
Wednesday: Longer run, 15 mins easy then 5 mins, 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins, 5 mins, 1 min, 2 mins, all with 5 mins easy between reps, 11.2 miles (1:08:18)-  better on a cold, windy night.
Thursday: Rest- at a seminar after work.
Friday: Reps, 2 mins, 3 mins, 2 mins, 3 mins, 2 mins, all with 2 mins jog recoveries, 7.1 miles total including warm up and warm down- lifted this from Charlie Spedding's book, one of his track sessions converted to the road.
Saturday: 6.8 miles easy (42:43)- fairly relaxed, day dreamed a bit and enjoyed the countryside.

The first signs of the galeforce winds which would lash Scotland could be sensed at Grangemouth. One of the sprints had a recorded wind speed of +3.6m/s! It wasn't too bad as I lined up with 21 others for the combined Divisions 1 and 2 5000m.

Pre-race, I harboured notions of breaking 15 minutes and set out with that intention. I moved straight into the lead, burning off everyone except Central's Robert Russell who stuck to me the way I did to Martin Williams 7 days before. With the first mile done in 4:44, I was on course. Front running for so long however, is tough. I lead for more than half of the race before Russell took over. I was slightly relieved because I'd taken the brunt of the wind until then.

Conditions worsened in the later stages and my sub-15 minute hopes slipped away. The race became more about position. Russell's club were Division 1 so I knew hanging on would earn me maximum points in Division 2. I reached  3 miles in around 14:45 and picked things up enough in the final 200m to finish in 15:21.53. Russell clocked 14:53.20. I feel a faster time is there in more favourable weather.

I rounded off by joining Cambuslang club mates Stewart Orr and Andrew Coulter for an easy 2 mile jog. Both had run the 1500m. Stewart finished 2nd in 4:05.62 behind Scottish Cross Country champion Derek Hawkins (4:03.42) while Andrew ran 4:28.61 to continue a comeback from an injury laden spell.

The team finished 4th and lie 3rd, one point off joint leaders Falkirk Victoria and Shettleston. Thank you to Jim Orr for his support and being on hand to assist with team manager duties. See what I mean about them watching me?

No comments:

Post a Comment