Sunday 17 April 2011

Training Since The Home Countries Cross Country

After the Home Countries Cross Country, I was ready for a rest. It ended the longest winter of my running career. It signalled a change of plans since I withdrew from planned race outings at the Scottish Road Relay Championships on 3rd April and the Tom Scott 10 Mile Road Race a week later. I used the time off to study the summer fixture list and set some targets.

I have two big aims this summer. The first is to run a fast 10km. To this end, I searched around for a 10k road race where I could do it, something in the mould of the Armagh 5k. The City of Bristol 10k on 15th May fitted the bill. In 2010, it was the English Championships and 9 athletes broke 30 minutes. The organisers invited applications for free reserved places. The guideline was 31:30 for men. My best is 31:12 so I mocked up a running CV and emailed it down. I got accepted so have now booked return flights and an overnight stay in Bristol on 14th and 15th May.

The second aim is to earn a medal in the 5000m at the Scottish Senior Track and Field Championships in mid July. I know I need to run under 15 minutes to do this but I did so on the road in Armagh in February so it is possible.

How do I achieve these goals? I feel I have built up a lot of stamina over the winter and the key is to sharpen my pace. That has been the story in training so far. Race wise, I kicked off the summer this weekend as you will see.

Week Commencing Monday 28th March

Rest. I went out one plod for 4 miles the day after the Glasgow Uni Hares and Hounds Ball. Apart from that, nothing.

Week Commencing Monday 4th April

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: 6.8 miles easy (42:17).

Thursday: 6.1 miles easy (37:17).

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 5km time trial, Glasgow Parkrun, Pollok Park- 15:49, 3.3 miles warm down (20:42).

Sunday: 10.2 miles easy (1:05:28).

I count this as a rest week as well. I loved the first week off. There's nothing better than getting home and actually having your dinner at the correct time for a change. By Tuesday this week, I was desparate to start again. The main purpose was to get my heart and lungs working. I felt extremely unfit on Wednesday and Thursday and in my first Parkrun for 2 years. I was so jaded after the Parkrun, I needed two naps afterwards, one before going to the football and one after. So far, so bad.

I've bought one of these fancy timing devices, hence, the new found precision in distances.

Week Commencing Monday 15th April

Monday: Track, 15 x 300m with every 3rd rep flat out, 150-200m jog recoveries.
Times- every 3rd rep: 46-47 seconds, remainder: 50-51 seconds.
5.5 miles including warm up and warm down.

Tuesday: Club, 7.7 miles brisk (46:37).

Wednesday: Rest- at Braehead Arena for the WWE Wrestlemania Revenge Tour (more in a future post).

Thursday: Longer run, 20 mins easy then efforts of 5 mins, 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins, 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins, all with 5 mins jog recoveries, total- 11.2 miles (1:08:27).

Friday: 6 miles easy (37:34).

Saturday: Scottish Universities Track and Field Championships, Grangemouth
1500m, 4th in 4:12.0, 6 miles easy warm down (38:39).

Sunday: Scottish Athletics Mens League Division 2 Match 1, Grangemouth
800m A race, 4th in 1:59.35, personal best and first time under 2 minutes.
5000m (Divisions 1 and 2 combined), 7th in 15:11.
Also did first legs in both 4 x 100m and 4 x 400m relays.

1.3 miles very easy warm down (14:49)

Mileage- 42

Training was quite encouraging. I ran as a guest yesterday at the Scottish University Championships. My 1500m was 7 seconds outside my best on a cold, blustery day. Fast forward to the Mens League at the same venue today on a beautiful day. It has given me belief that my targets are achievable. Plenty hard work to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment