Friday 22 April 2011

Summer Gets Underway, 16th and 17th April

Grangemouth won't be everyone's first choice for a weekend away. It was for me. I found myself there twice in two days as I got summer 2011 underway. My first proper week's training since the Home Countries International on 26th March had gone smoothly and I viewed my race plans more as competitive training with the goal to assess fitness. My training is documented in my previous post.

Saturday 16th April- Scottish Universities Track and Field Championships

No, I haven't followed through the threat of a previous post and matriculated at university again. I applied for and was given one of the guest spots on offer in the 1500m. All this meant was I paid a £10 entry fee and was ineligible for a medal.

My plan wasn't quite as undercover as I'd hoped since I was spotted by various chums from my second claim club, Whitemoss, who were present in different capacities. Willie Sutherland, Mark Stringer and Cathy Robertson were officiating and John Robertson was competing in the pole vault for the University of the West of Scotland. Willie is a proud Clyde supporter and, being rivals to Queen's Park, he takes great pleasure at poking fun at my expense.

Above: Whitemoss members Willie Sutherland (left) and Mark Stringer (pointing at the camera).

If you've read my last post, you will see there was no easing off for this. Conditions were rather blustery and cold so I made a late decision to wear one of my long sleeved Helly Hanson tops under my Cambuslang vest. After watching the women's 1500m, won by Liz McColgan's daughter Eilish, I lined up on a crowded start line with 17 students. I jostled for position and completed the first 400m lap in 64 seconds. The wind on the back straight was very strong though and, while slowly moving through to 2nd place, slowed to 68 seconds for the next 400m. I tried my hardest but could only muster a 69 second lap then 51 seconds for the last 300m. Two runners passed me in the last 100m and I trailed through 4th in 4:12, 7 seconds slower than my personal best. On reflection, it was alright. At the time, I was a little disappointed and concerned about my fitness since I had felt very sluggish. I left the stadium to do an easy 6 miles and hope for better the following day.

Sunday 17th April- Scottish Athletics Mens League Division 2 Match 1

Back to Grangemouth where I would be competing for Whitemoss. I have been a Whitemoss member in some capacity since taking up athletics properly in 1996. The club has competed in the Mens League every year since 2003. Three people have managed the team in that time, Mike Smith (2003-2006), Keith Stoddart (2007-2009) and me (2010-present). For a chequered history of Whitemoss' Mens League involvement which I wrote a few years ago, click here.

To update my article, the club was promoted to Division 1 in 2007 as runners up, relegated in 2009 and, in my first year as manager in 2010, 4th in the 9 club Division 2. Kirkintilloch Olympians have joined this year, bringing the numbers up to 10. Division 1 has 8 clubs.

Both divisions meet on the same day at the same venue. After much mulling over, I gave myself an 800m in addition to my 5000m. They were 3 hours apart, why not? As well as this, I was on team manager duty- filling in and submitting team sheets and making sure my 10 athletes and 3 officials had turned up and knew what they were doing.

So, to my races:-

800m- I took my place in the A string race (each club is allowed two athletes, "A string" and "B string," often run as separate races). I simply aimed to run like hell. Conditions were far better. I battled away and went through 400m in 58 seconds! My personal best of 2:01.93 looked under threat. I dug in and hung on in the second lap, crossing the finish line 4th in 1:59.35. It was a new best and my first time under 2 minutes. All self doubt wiped away within 2 minutes of racing.

5000m- After much spectating, eating and drinking, I stepped onto the track with new signing from Cambuslang, Greg Hastie, who was my B string runner. Divisions 1 and 2 run together which made for a crowded start line of 25 runners. I dispensed with a watch for this.

I chuntered along quite nicely for a few laps just off the leading group of John Newsom (Central), Michael Gillespie (Shettleston) and Ben Hukins (Aberdeen). I also had Thomas Fay (Shettleston), Niall Sheehan (Lassswade), Luke Trainor (Giffnock North) and Alex Hendry (Central) for company. Apart from John Newsom, these are all athletes I have beaten before. I tried a couple of Spedding surges which didn't have the desired effect. All of the aforementioned athletes, except Thomas Fay, beat me and Ben Hukins won in an excellent time of 14:45.59. My legs caved in a bit at halfway. It wasn't all bad though as I finished 7th overall (2nd A string in Division 2) in a better than expected time of 15:11.81. My lap times had been taken by Cambuslang clubmate David Munro who confirmed they were all from 72-74 seconds. I've taken great encouragement from this. I feel there is more to come.

Greg battled hard to finish 2nd B string in Division 2 with 16:36.0. Another Cambuslang man, Alistair Campbell, ran the 400m B race for me, winning in 54.18 seconds. Whitemoss won the match to kick off our promotion bid.

Elsewhere for Cambuslang on the same weekend, Robert Gilroy won the undulating Balfron 10k in rural Stirlingshire one week after claiming victory in the Lochaber Marathon. Also at Balfron, Kirsty Grant's fightback from serious illness continued with a course best of 49:18, a very encouraging result. A faster time is certain to come in the upcoming Women's 10k in Glasgow.


Above left: wearing my Whitemoss colours in September 2000. I've had the same vest since I first joined.



No comments:

Post a Comment