Thursday 7 October 2010

McAndrew Road Relay, 2nd October 2010

Here is part of the story of a manic weekend of 2nd and 3rd October. It was a big occasion as Cambuslang Harriers welcomed its friends from Armagh Athletics Club in Northern Ireland. Seven athletes plus club chairman Brian Valleley made their way across the pond at the invitation of Cambuslang chair David Cooney who was keen to reciprocate the kindness Armagh had shown to the club over the last 16 years when club members have travelled to particiapte in the Armagh International Road Races. Having experienced that hospitality in February this year, I volunteered to help in any way possible. More on this in a future article while this one focuses on my race experience.

Saturday began for me with a lie in until 10.30am, a relaxed breakfast then leaving with my Dad at 12.30pm for the Premier Inn at Nerston near East Kilbride to greet the Irishmen who had arrived the night before. We transported two of them to Jordanhill in Glasgow for the 71st running of the McAndrew Road Relay. These autumn and winter road and cross country relays are run from September to November. They comprise 4 legs for men and 3 for women over a set distance. In each team of 4 or 3, your first runner sets off. When they finish, the second one goes off and so on until your team finishes. First to finish wins. The McAndrew is run over a hilly road circuit of 3.25 miles.

The race starts relatively late at 3pm. I was pleased to be named in Cambuslang's first team but a tad deflated to be last leg which meant setting off at around 3.45pm. Stewart Orr, Ian Munro and Robert Gilroy would run before me. However, this was actually a compliment because David Cooney had graded the team with the quickest going last. It displayed trust in me that I could handle the pressure with places to be won and lost. I had also noticed this tactic at previous relays with Calderglen in that Robert Gilroy, more often than not, took "the anchor leg" as it's often called for Cambuslang.

I got the opportunity to watch the first leg cavalry charge and to hang about the start area near Jordanhill School catching up with friends old and new. Two of my former clubs, Glasgow University and Calderglen Harriers, were well represented. I timed starting my warm up to co-incide with the leading first leg runners finishing to hand over to their team mates. We were performing well. Young guns Stewart Orr, Jack Hamilton and Bobby Bristow had been split into separate teams and enjoyed the benefit of a race against other. They all came through in the order listed within touching distance of early pace setters Victoria Park City of Glasgow. For my quartet, Ian Munro caught the VP second leg runner to take the lead. No pressure for me then. He gave it a great effort, coming through to give Robert Gilroy 4th place to improve on. Robert had a stormer, clocking 16:27 to give me a pressure leg to run. He gave me 2nd place behind Glasgow Uni.

I set off with one tactic in mind- blast it from start to finish. Going down the first 100m straight to turn left into the main street, I heard more team numbers being shouted by the officials. I recognised one of them as Shettleston's. An Eritrean saved until last no doubt. I had Tewoldeberhan Mengisteab and 2008 Scottish Cross Country Champion Mark Pollard after me while I myself was in pursuit of Glasgow Uni leader Michael Deason.

I got plenty encouragement around the course from the club and others who probably just know my face from races. Boy I needed it. I was giving this everything and more. The course takes you by Scotstoun Stadium. I got a "come on Stuart" from a policeman on duty there. With Mengisteab and Pollard hot on my heels, I had no time to brain storm how many athletes I knew who were also in the police force.

Over half way through, we were coming to the hilly last section of the course. I could see the leader. Incredible! The sound of footsteps came behind then alongside me. It was Mengisteab. He opened a 50-70m gap which then stopped growing. 2nd or even 1st was still on. I battled up the hills without looking back and always assuming Pollard was one stride behind. I never look behind in a race. Closer to the finish, the streets got busier. With two uphills to the finish, Jack Brown yelled at me "the American boy's knackered" referring to Michael Deason. After the last climb, there is an approximate 200m downhill stretch to the finish. Deason, Mengisteab and myself entered it one after the other.

Where it came from I don't know but for that final 200m I found a sprint I've not possessed since my teens. I was desparate to close down the Eritrean and American. I was grimacing and groaning out loud. I ran out of ground. Deason held on by one second from Mengisteab. I was 4 seconds adrift of the East African. Pollard was 20 odd seconds adrift of me to bring Inverclyde in 4th. 5 seconds away from winning the McAndrew for Cambuslang. What a thought.


Once through the finishing funnel, I collapsed onto my knees, face down on the road. After some light hearted fun poking from long time club member Bob Burt, I was back on my feet. I recorded a time of 16:16. This was 1 minute 13 seconds than my last appearance at this race in 2008. No wonder I was in the state I was. I was delighted to learn later I was 4th fastest senior and 6th fastest male overall. Statistics I could only have dreamed of a mere 2 years ago. It's incredible what some consistent training can achieve.

The results on the VP City of Glasgow's website are rather difficult to interpret. I do know Cambuslang's first and second teams were 3rd and 5th respectively. Very encouraging results.

My Dad, reliable as ever, was on hand with a flask of tea to help me regain my humanity. Following a short warm down, I headed home to recuperate prior to heading out for a much needed beer or two with some club members and the Armagh visitors. It tasted great after all of the above, let me tell you. Queen's beating Arbroath 5-2 improved my mood even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment