Wednesday 17 February 2016

Blast from the Past, Armagh International Road Races, 14th February 2013

I'm not looking too far back here but it's still something worth a look. Frustration has been the enduring theme in a running sense so far in 2016. No sooner had I recovered from a 2 week long chest infection, a little over a week later, on Saturday 6th February, I sprained my ankle during a cross country training session with the club at Pollok Park. The planned session had been, for me, 5 x 5 minutes and misfortune struck during the first rep. At least if it had happened at the end I would have had a workout in the bank.

Genuinely fearing that I had broken my ankle such was the pain I experienced, I attended A & E at Hairmyres Hospital in East Kilbride as a precaution. Alas, I had only sprained it but still a setback I could have done without. The following day's Renfrewshire 5 Miler proved a non starter and I also reluctantly pulled the plug on this year's trip to Armagh. As for this year's National Cross Country, I can only hope for the best.

I've had nothing but good experiences, and personal best 5km performances, in Armagh on my previous visits in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2015. The photo below is from 2013 when I ran a time of 14:44, finishing in the same position as my race number. I had a party piece lined up for the post race celebration which, alas, will have to stay under wraps until next year.

Above, from left to right- Stewart Orr, Alistair Campbell, Katie Bristow, David Robertson, me, Sarah Benson.

No comments:

Post a Comment