Saturday 14 November 2015

Scottish National Cross Country Relay Championships, 24th October 2015

I had one simple target as I approached Cumbernauld for this relay, to improve on last year's time of 13:43 on 3rd leg and overall 30th quickest time. My personal circumstances have changed for the better since then. I was going through a bit of turmoil having resigned from my job but needing to endure another 6 weeks before starting with my new employer. I completely went through the motions for the full 4km.

12 months on, changed days and I was (slightly) more up for it. I do not like racing at Cumbernauld at all, therefore, was very pleased to be assigned 1st leg, meaning I could get it over with and encourage/watch everyone else struggle. 

With the course initially veering right uphill, I positioned myself to the right of the start line which also ensured I avoided a big puddle on the left. I was worried about being clipped and my shoe coming off (it's happened to me a few times) so my Dad had wrapped masking tape round my footwear. Whether it was necessary or not, I don't know. My shoes stayed on anyway.

My leg unfolded as a battle to stay in contention. I fought the best I could round an undulating muddy course, managing to stay in the top 10. I didn't feel I had moved very quickly though the clock told me otherwise. I crossed the finish line 9th in 12:51. Ryan Thomson, Robert Gilroy and Kyle McLellan gradually hauled us upwards and we finished in a very good 4th place behind strong Central, Shettleston and Inverclyde teams. I was 19th fastest overall and much quicker than 2014. Pre-race objective firmly achieved. 4th place was also a big team improvement.

Again, we had a very healthy club turnout across all age groups. Results can be found here.

Above: ploughing on, my hair worrying starting to get some grey patches. Photo courtesy of Sharyn Ramage.

No comments:

Post a Comment