Thursday 11 June 2015

British Milers Club Grand Prix, Stretford, 16th May 2015

Despite having built up to my 5000m race at this event with consistent training and weekly mileages of 51, 51, 51, 51 and 46, I still felt quite nervous. Race wise, the build up had included a solid enough track 10,000m, a disappointing road 5km (actually an okay time but I had hoped for a lot better), a good road 10km win where a hellish wind made my time slower than I'd wanted and a confidence boosting treble track race outing in the one afternoon. I tapered a fair bit in the days before Stretford, taking the Wednesday off to see the Queen's Park-Stenhousemuir play off first leg and the Friday because I was driving to stay at the Travelodge at Southwaite services overnight to avoid a one day, 400 odd miles round trip on Saturday. Sometimes you have to trust your training.
I tried to be relaxed and panic free as possible. My race wasn't until 8.40pm so I paid a small supplement to delay checking out the Travelodge until 2pm, had a lie in until shortly after 10am, a breakfast at the services (which I was nearly too late for on account of my said lie in) and several cups of tea back in my room before setting off on my way. I'd been to Stretford once before, in 2012, and knew the track was close to Old Trafford, home of "Man U" so, while not knowing exactly where to go, came off the motorway at the Trafford Centre, found my way to Stretford and, after a mini tour (only slightly lost), found the track, located in a leafy residential area next to Longford Park, just after 4pm. I then wandered over to the local shopping centre for a filler bite to eat and bought some provisions (beer incase I got home early enough to have one) before continuing to fill the time soaking up the meeting atmosphere and getting myself into both physical and mental readiness to race.
Eventually the moment I'd been psyching up for came. I was in the second last race of the night, the B race, with the 5000m A race thereafter rounding things off. Pacing was taken on by UK international steeplechaser Luke Gunn. 11 of us, including him, lined up. From the off, I quickly found myself in last position but completed the first 400m lap in my target pace of 70 seconds so no panic. Not wanting to get detached, I quickened and gradually moved through a little. Only one athlete (David Rigby from memory) had followed the pacemaker and opened a gap on the rest of us. My pace was still fine though. I focussed on working with the pack before feeling I was able to move quicker than they were so made a move and, to my amazement, found myself in 2nd place. I still had a gap in front though so had to work away myself. The pacemaker duly dropped out and I sensed that I was closing the leader down. Bit by bit I did so then, hugely beyond expectations, found myself in the lead with only a handful of laps left. The race became just as much about winning as time.
Having become a rabbit in the headlights, the announcer's commentary reliably informed me about the battle unfolding at my back and all the nice people pursuing me. Another Scottish athlete, Calum McKenzie, was among the chasing pack. I reached the bell still leading and attempted to up the pace. I could sense an ambush however and, with 300m to go, Sam-Knee Robinson overtook me on the back straight on my outside. I gave chase but had given my all and couldn't mount a comeback. I held on though for 2nd place in 14:47.80, precisely 1.36 seconds outside the personal best I set in Manchester in June 2014. Robinson's winning time was 14:46.02. Calum took 3rd in a new best for him of 14:52.55.
Far from disappointed, I was delighted with this result and I embarked on a contented warm down jog in the late evening sunshine in Longford Park. I was keen to hammer the journey home so, apart from a food stop outside Manchester before everywhere closed, which included meeting the Central AC contingent of Andrew Butchart, Alistair Hay, Scott McDonald and Dale Colley, I almost completed the drive in one go. I stopped again 15 miles outside Hamilton to fill up the car and clear my head (driving on dark roads alone can cook your mind). The arrival home proved to be a very late/early one of 2am so I saw sense, got to bed and kept my beers for the Eurovision Song Contest the following week.
When a plan comes together, there's no better feeling. Here you have a plan which came together.

No comments:

Post a Comment