Saturday 23 November 2013

Scottish National 4km Cross Country, 10th November 2013

The road to recovery from Dublin was a long one. That is, recovery from the marathon, not the "session" that followed at Temple Bar that night though that took a while too! Being barely able to walk for 2 days was no fun at all. If I stood or sat in the one place for too long, my legs seized up. Getting in and out of bed presented a challenge. By midweek, these feelings started to pass but I simply did not feel right. I attempted no running for an entire week and when I did the following Monday, I struggled through 5 miles at 7 minute mile pace with tight joints and calves. The following night, I returned to the club and managed the 8 miles but uncomfortably with my right calf still hurting. 5 and 6 mile runs over the next 2 days started to feel better. However, the jadedness lingered and I didn't run on either the Friday or Saturday. Not so ideal preparation for my next race.
Having missed the West District and National Cross Country relays, I felt I owed the club an appearance so declared myself available for the National 4km Cross Country at Glasgow's Bellahouston Park. I knew my performance would be a lottery. All I could do was my best.
As in previous years, the route comprised a 2 lap course, relatively flat apart from a gradual incline 800m or so into each lap. It was muddy without being of Inverkip proportions. A large field of over 200 lined up for the senior men race. I didn't feel confident enough to follow the initial cavalry and sat back hoping to work through. I coped fine with the underfoot conditions and my legs were alright. I simply felt unfit. I tried to focus and by the end of the first lap, I had worked my way up a few places.
Up ahead, Central quartet Alistair Hay, Robert Russell, Andrew Butchart and Cameron Boyek fought out the first 4 places. They finished in that order. One of our first year under 20s Ryan Thomson was running strongly and headed me going into the second lap. I grinded my way past him as he tired, being passed in turn myself by our first finisher, Ben Hukins. I more or less maintained position, motivated by the shouts for other Cambuslang runners close behind me, taking 28th place and 2nd Cambuslang runner behind Ben in 12:58, 1 minute and 1 second behind the winner (Hay).


Having been top 10 in this race twice in the last 3 attempts, 28th was disappointing but not unexpected given my preparation and fitness level on the day. It's the lowest I've finished in a Scottish race for quite some time but the results show a high level of competitiveness throughout the field which can only be a good thing. I needed the jolt and came away with a clear idea of the hard work lying ahead of me to have any chance of matching the success I've been fortunate to enjoy in recent years. Having a McDonalds for dinner before attending WWE's wrestling show at Braehead Arena 2 nights earlier probably didn't help either!

Team wise, the men were 4th and our senior ladies were 6th, aided by silver medal winning under 20 Katie Bristow. A link to results from all the day's races is here.



1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your next race. Sounds you found some motivation. :)

    ReplyDelete