Thursday 26 September 2013

Amazing Who You Meet 7

On 15th September, I had a significant birthday as I joined the 30 club. I still don't quite know how to feel about it.
To mark the occasion, my parents treated me to a hospitality package at the Queen's Park v Elgin game on 21st September, the closest home game to my birthday. With the team's form of having lost all 7 games played in the 2013/14 season, it felt slightly like a booby prize. Clouds do have silver linings though.
Alas, I was named match ball sponsor which entitled me to access to the Millenium Lounge bar at Hampden before kick off for a drink, to a buffet at half time and another drink after the game if I so wished. I also received a football signed by the players and coaches who had achieved 7 defeats out of 7!
The team however had a lot more stuffing about them, battling back from 2-0 then 3-1 down for a 3-3 draw and their first point of the season. By way of explanation, 12 of last season's squad have departed with the bedding in of new faces a work in progress. Normally, selection of man of the match falls to the match sponsor. With no-one filling this role, I was given the honour. I swayed between midfielder David Gold, on loan from Hibs, and long serving Spider Tony Quinn, settling in the end for the latter for his 2 goal contribution as well as an excellent all round performance. I got a close view as I stood in the tunnel during the last few minutes waiting to present the club captain with the award. It was worth the wait.

Thank you to my parents for the present and to Queen's Park FC for their generosity on the day.
Above: presenting Tony Quinn with the man of the match champagne. Photo courtesy of Queen's Park FC.

No comments:

Post a Comment