Wednesday 31 August 2011

Inter Regional Championships, 28th August 2011

This was the third edition of the Scottish Inter Regional Championships which sees the country roughly divided into the regions of West City, West Coast, Central, East, Tayside & Fife and Highlands, Islands & Grampian. I competed in a 3000m steeplechase for West Coast at the inaugural championship in May 2009 and also got a run out over 1500m when an indoor version was held in January 2010. Teams compete for the Innes Trophy in memory of a long standing servant of Scottish Athletics, John Innes, who passed away in late 2008. The event wasn't on my radar but when the offer came from West Coast team selector Allison Simpson, who I've been acquainted with for a few years, I thought "why not?"

Following Tuesday's encouraging 3000m, I did 11.3 miles with intervals of 4 minutes, 1 minute and 2 minutes duration on Wednesday (time for whole run- 1:11:05) then a track session of 15 x 400m in 71-72 seconds apart from the 4th, 8th, 12th and 15th reps which were 66, 67, 68 and 68 seconds. Both sessions were quicker and felt a lot better than the previous attempts 2 weeks before. Friday was a day off then Saturday morning saw a wee run with Kirsty. Apart from a solitary pint of Belhaven Best before the Queen's Park game, I stayed off the drink and was in bed at 11pm as soon as Sylvester Stallone had knocked out the big Russian in Rocky IV on ITV4.

It struck me on the way to Wishaw how dull and blustery it was and took the decision to keep a top on under the vest when racing. I collected my number and vest. With a 12.15pm start, there wasn't too much hanging around and before long I was being led out the call room with 7 other guys plus Kara Tait, the sole female 5000m entrant.

Before long, I found myself just off a leading group with Alex Hendry, fellow lawyer and blog reader Mickey Breen, Luke Traynor and Neil Sheehan. The first lap passed by in 76 seconds but the pace had quickened by 4 laps (approximately a mile) which took 4:55. I admit to deliberately staying in behind the group attempting to take a free ride by letting the others have the brunt of the wind on the home straight. I probably got my just desserts in the end. More on that later. I gradually moved up and, at halfway, took the lead for the first time. The group was down to 4.

Above: leading into the breeze. Photo courtesy of Scottish Athletics.

A split time at 3000m of 9:12 told me I wasn't going to break any personal bests. I was however in contention to win the race. Hendry, Traynor and Breen had retaken the pace from me which I was happy for them to do. I then had another go at the front which I wanted to be decisive. Whether it was slight lack of fitness or confidence or both, or he was simply running better but Hendry managed to steal a march on me within the last 3 laps, building up a gap he ultimately held. With one lap to go, the clock read 14:11. Traynor and Breen came by me into the back straight. I immediately became disgusted with myself. I wasn't even in a medal position now. They must have been going at a fair lick since a 69 seconds final lap, completed in a foul mood, only served to bring me in 3 seconds adrift. My time was identical to what I ran at Bellahouston the week before.

At the time, I took the outcome badly. The frustration of running no quicker than I had on the road was huge. Let me say though, congratulations to the other 3 guys who ran excellent tactical races. I was so angry with myself, I ran another 6 miles as a warm down when I got home. With the benefit of hindsight, it was alright. A look at my Power of 10 profile reminded me how far I've come in a short time and gave some perspective. The football scores that afternoon also helped. I'm sure plenty Arsenal and Tottenham supporters would have queued up to swap places with me.

Winter preparation now begins. Next stop, Millport on 11th September.

Inter Regional 5000m Overall Result (Men A and B and Lady)

1. Alex Hendry, Central, 15:12.46
2. Luke Traynor, West City, 15:17.60
3. Mickey Breen, East, 15:17.83
4. Stuart Gibson, West Coast, 15:20.27
5. Neil Sheehan, East, 15:38.17
6. Stuart Campbell, Tayside & Fife, 16:01.90
7. Ross Milne, Central, 16:11.06
8. Joe McKnight, West City, 16:35.32
9. Kara Tait, West Coast, 17:57.78

No comments:

Post a Comment