Saturday 22 January 2011

West District Cross Country, Irvine, 16th January 2011

Having given the background in a previous post, here is a few words on the race itself.

The rearranged race was on a Sunday so, after a 3.5 mile run to keep the legs moving in the morning, I had a whole Saturday afternoon to fill. I spent the time organising a few files for work while catching up with some TV viewing. I'm a sap for sentimental Hugh Grant films so I watched "Love Actually" which I recorded over Christmas. My other favourites are "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Notting Hill." I've yet to watch either "Bridget Jones' Diary" or "Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason", two other films I taped during the festive season. I tried to watch "Match of the Day" later on but my mind wasn't on it by then so it was lights out and asleep by 11.30pm.

I'll cut straight to the race now. The snow and ice present when I trained at Irvine the week before had given way to a firm, grassy surface with only a few mud patches. A large field of nearly 200 athletes had assembled. I positioned myself at the front tight in the right hand corner because I knew the course began with a slight right turn and I wanted to be in my stride right away. We set off on our 3 lap, 9.6km odyssey and within 200-300m were climbing the first hill with me safely positioned in the top 10.

The course was a kind one to me with plenty of fast running to be had. I suddenly found myself in a lead group with Shettleston runners Paul Sorrie, fellow Queen's Park fan Lachlan Oates, Tsegai Tewelde and Tewoldeberhan Mengisteab. Familiar foe from Kilbirnie, Craig Ruddy, was a little behind us from the shouts I heard. Tewelde pushed on and I decided to go after him. This put me in 2nd place. It was totally beyond expectations. Then something incredible happened. Tewelde slowed down, looked at his watch and over his shoulder. I thought "if you don't want to lead, I will." So I did. With a previous best performance of 21st place, at the age of 27, I was leading a Scottish District Championship for the first time ever.

I didn't know how long it would last so I decided to grasp the nettle. Despite being less than 2 miles into the race, I picked the pace up and ran with a bit of aggression. I was getting incredible encouragement from both club members and others. I led into the second lap, up the first hill and down the big dip on the other side. The next sequence of events is hazy but what I know is, going into the final lap, I was 4th behind Craig Ruddy, Paul Sorrie and Lachlan Oates. Unknown to me, Tewelde had dropped out and Mengisteab was down in about 8th. I always look one way in a race, forward. Never back.

Ruddy opened up a decisive gap which ultimately won him the race. I still had Sorrie and Oates to pursue and was making every effort to do so, ever mindful of the threat of another 190 odd runners behind me. I gave it everything in the final lap, partly to pursue a medal, partly to preserve the position I had. The last mile or so was a flat stretch into the finish. I treated it like one of my 5 minute intervals. I closed the gap on Sorrie and Oates but not enough and crossed the finish line in an exhausted 31:02, 14 and 12 seconds behind them respectively. Ruddy won in a time of 30:38. Next behind me was another Shettleston Harrier, Jethro Lennox (31:17) closely followed by Irvine's David Millar (31:19).

A surprise awaited at the prize giving. Lachlan Oates received a medal as winning under 20 which saw me receive a bronze medal as 3rd senior (runner aged 20-39. From 40 onwards, you are a veteran). If I'd known, I wouldn't have been eating a quarter pound hamburger when my name was read out. I had to free my right hand up quickly to offer a hand shake and receive the medal. Though not presented on the day, Cambuslang won team silver with myself, Robert Gilroy, John MacNamara, Iain MacCorquodale, Kerry Wilson and Jack Hamilton.

I have been overwhelmed not only with the warmth of congratulations but from whom it has been received. I have had messages in person and by electronic means of communication. Whether from Cambuslang members, my former club Calderglen and even running personnel I have never met before, it is hugely appreciated. Thank you to each and every one of you.

It is encouraging to know I can focus myself on a race and pull out a good performance. I took a huge gamble, declining a chance to run in the Scottish Inter District Cross Country in Edinburgh the week before. This was incorporated into the Great Edinburgh International and was live on BBC. Yes, it's mad to turn something like that down. However, it was the wrong race at the wrong time. On pages 151 and 152 of his book "From Last to First," Charlie Spedding discusses his 1986 Commonwealth Games experience. It sums up in a nutshell why I didn't run Edinburgh. Thankfully trusting my gut instinct paid dividends.

1 comment:

  1. Wow congratulations it sounds like you had a fantastic race. very well done

    ReplyDelete