Thursday 30 December 2010

2010- My Year In Running

I abandoned my plan to race a 1500m indoors today in favour of some training to make up for the 4 days I missed last week with knee problems. That decision meant I have now run my last race of 2010. Having some time on my hands for a change, I sat down to reflect on the year and worked out some statistics.

I ran 37 races in 2010, winning 5, placing 2nd in 3 and 3rd in another 4. In 23 of those races, I set either a new personal or course best. I earned my highest places in the Scottish 4km Cross Country at Bellahouston Park, Glasgow (11th from 103 runners) and Scottish National Cross Country at Falkirk (30th from 447 runners).

Above: Scottish 4km Cross Country, January 2010, photo courtesy of my Dad. Cambuslang member Jamie Reid, injured at the time, is in the background wearing the blue coat.

Through training and racing, I have become acquainted with far more athletes of all standards than I was this time last year. I've even been asked for and given training advice to one or two athletes, hopefully with positive results for them. Accolade wise, I ran a 1500m for the West Coast team at the Scottish Indoor Inter Regional Championship. I also earned selection for the West of Scotland team at the Edinburgh International Cross Country on 8th January 2011 though for reasons I may elaborate on in a future post, I turned the offer down.

Overall, this has easily been my most consistent year in terms of training and race performances. I have high hopes for 2011, health and fitness permitting. There isn't too long to wait to get the 2011 race schedule underway. I'm off to Kilbirnie on Sunday 2nd January to run the Beith Harriers New Year Road Race. Watch this space for the outcome.
Above: City of Stirling 10km Road Race, September 2010. Probably my very best race all year, finishing 7th in a huge personal best of 31:12. Photo courtesy of Mark Williams.


2010 Statistics

Races- 37, constituted thus:-
Road- 14
Track- 18
Cross Country- 5

Clubs Represented:-
Ronhill Cambuslang Harriers- 26
Whitemoss- 10
West Coast- 1 (Scottish Indoor Inter Regional Championships)

Personal or Course Bests Set- 23

Championship Results:-
Scottish Indoor Inter Regional Championships- 1500m, 4:07.55, 4th place
Scottish 4km Cross Country Championships- 12:04, 11th place, team bronze medal
Scottish National Cross Country Championships (12km)- 40:59, 30th place, 4th placed team
Scottish National 6 Stage Road Relay Championships- short stage (3.15 miles), 16:02, 5th placed team
Scottish Senior Track and Field Championships- 5000m, 15:20.38, 12th from 18 runners
Scottish 10km Road Race Championships (Stirling 10k above)- 31:12, 7th place, team silver medal
Scottish West District Cross Country Relay Championships (4km)- 13:56, 4th placed team
Scottish National Cross Country Relay Championships (4km)- 13:18, 7th placed team

Longest Race- 13.1 miles, Chris Moon Half Marathon, Strathaven, June 2010 (1st in 1:13:33)

Shortest Race- 100m on one occasion for Cambuslang and once for Whitemoss, fastest time of 13.2 seconds (personal best is 12.5 seconds set in 1999).

Worst Race- West District Cross Country Relay. The team achieved a good placing but I didn't run well at all. Whatever it was- the course, running last leg, a stressful week at work- it never happened for me.

Best Race- Stirling for definite. Others come close such as the National Cross Country Relay. I'd also mention the Irvine 10k in August. While not a personal best, I was tired after a stressful working day and worked hard to win it against some good opposition from clubmate Chris Wilson and one or two others.

Most Enjoyable Race- both races organised by Strathaven Striders (Chris Moon Half Marathon and Run With The Wind 10k) were friendly affairs. The Penicuik Harriers 10k is a tough race but organised by very welcoming people. It had everything I look for- run on a Saturday afternoon, scenic location and plenty post-race grub. The Round Cumbrae Road Race at Millport is a splendid day out. Enough said. It's on my radar for 2011 already.
Above: Penicuik 10k early stages. I eventually finished 3rd in a then personal best of 33:22. The winner was Ross Houston (yellow vest) followed by David Simpson (white vest). Clubmate Charlie Thomson is a former winner of the race. Photo courtesy of http://www.roadrunpics.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a brilliant year you have had and what a improvement you have had over the 10k distance. I think your half marathon pb will take a serious bashing in 2011 if your 10k time is anything to go by.

    All the best in the New Year.

    GaryB

    ReplyDelete