Sunday 27 November 2016

Nairn 10 Mile Road Race, 5th June 2016

Always open to trying new races, the Nairn 10 Miler caught my eye. I had enjoyed my trip to Inverness in June 2015 for a Mens League match and never been to Nairn so put in an entry, booked an overnight at a guest house, the Ardross Glencairn, in the Highland capital and arranged to meet up with my Inverness based friends, Charles and Jenny Bannerman and Stephen Mackay for a bite to eat. They came up trumps with the Culloden Moor Inn. Charles surpassed this thereafter, signing us into the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Social Club of which he is a member. I know I had a race the next day but to not partake in a refreshment would be rude. It was just the sort of old man pub I love. After a couple of beers there, I walked Charles round to another pub close to the guest house where he continued with his evening while I headed to bed.


Above: the River Ness, close to my guest house. This is my own photo.

I can only assume that the Ardross Glencairn was previously two different properties because, to get from my room to the dining room, I had to go out the front door, along the street a few metres and in next door, there being no direct door leading you through inside. Someone clearly didn't think to create a gap in the wall! Still, breakfast consumed, I drove 16 miles along the A96 to Nairn. I was quite early so had a wander round and noted I'd unfortunately arrived a week early for the Book and Arts Festival.

Before too long, runners and crowds had gathered and the race was underway. The vast majority of the course was on country roads so proved to be hilly and rural in a mixture of warm and windy conditions. My main opposition turned out to be a local, Kenny Wilson of Moray Road Runners. At 2 miles I had a slight scare when I felt a bee or wasp bounce off my chest then experienced a stinging sensation. I took some water shortly after, rubbing some on the affected area and thankfully the feeling passed. I gradually edged a step ahead of Kenny at 3 miles and decided to inject some pressure for the next 2 miles to build a gap. It would hurt me but hopefully not so much that I wouldn't sustain it. I went through 5 miles in 25:54, quicker than anticipated it must be said.

Above: anticipating the finish. Photo courtesy of Jenny Bannerman.

I managed to keep the effort going and had some company near the end from the fun runners, this route taking in the tail end of the 10 miler. I finished in a satisfying 52:20, just over 2 minutes clear of Kenny in the end who, in turn, was comfortable in 2nd. Jenny had lined up for the race but was being afflicted at the time by a mystery illness and had to stop after a few miles. Her club mate, Sarah Liebnitz, took the honours instead in a very good time of 61:10.


Above: either the local paper simply made a mistake or they only know one Cambuslang athlete. Courtesy of Jenny Bannerman.

Though I had a long journey home ahead, I considered it only courteous to wait for the prize giving, receiving a trophy and some vouchers. The drive back south took 4 hours through the A9's maze of speed cameras. Overall, I had a very enjoyable trip. I'll have my eyes peeled for more events in the Highlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment