Thursday 21 April 2016

Grangemouth Round The Houses 10km Road Race, 10th April 2016

After recovering from illness and two ankle sprains in the first two months of this year, I resolved to get out and race whenever possible when fit and injury free. After the success of the Scottish Road Relay on 3rd April, the club solidified its plans to attend the English 12 Stage Road Relay in Sutton Coldfield on 16th April. I was keen to race on the weekend in between. There were a couple of possibilities, the Tom Scott Memorial (10 miles), which I've raced several times over the years on its various routes, and Round the Houses 10km in Grangemouth which I had not ran since 2003, despite more track appearances than I care to remember in the same town. The two races are pre-entry only and extremely popular so, to keep my options open, I entered both. On learning I would be on a long leg the following week and it was undulating, I felt I would not recover on time from a 10 miler so the well worn path to Grangemouth it was.

Despite the Tom Scott constituting a West District and Scottish Championship, there was no shortage of talent opting to race 10km instead so I was by no means in for a Sunday stroll. Conditions were ideal, a little nippy temperature wise but dry with only a slight breeze. Another thing was for sure, there would not be a hill to be had on this pancake flat course. Soon after the start, I found myself in a large leading group of about 8 runners. I don't tend to be a slave to my watch in races. Over 10km, apart from a quick glance after the gun to check if it has started timing, I tend to only have a look at halfway then again at 8km. Therefore, the presence of a lead car displaying a clock at the back, directly in my line of vision, unsettled me a bit. Despite this, I continued to focus on getting a few kilometres behind me.

What unfolded was no doubt one of the closest races in this events 50 year history (this was the 50th anniversary edition). There would certainly be no danger of me failing to beat my course best of around 37:10 from 2003. The large pack chuntered along, each taking the lead in turns, myself included, and I passed through 5km in 15:20. I thought that the pace surely had to drop and, if it did, hoped I would have enough in the tank to be in contention for the win. The pack dropped to 6 runners with Dermot Cummins and Patrik Gierjatowicz (sincere apologies if I've spelled that incorrectly) dropping off. This left me, Irish triathlete Russell White (I didn't know this at the time), Michael Christoforou with a 14:36 track 5000m to his name (I was unaware of this as well), Bryan Mackie, Conan McCaughey and Max McNeill. At both the 7km and 8km points, I tried to make a surge for home but got pegged back on each occasion. As we ran on the road parallel to the track, round the turn and back the opposite way towards 9km, I was still there.

The pace then noticeably turned. I wanted to go with it and tried to but my legs wouldn't let me. As we took a right turn then ran round the perimeter of the track and through the gate for the final 100m, I watched the lead change hands several times. All 6 of us were on the track at one time. Russell, Michael and Bryan were toe to toe for 1st place followed by Conan, Max and me. My final effort took me past Max and I held on narrowly for 5th place in a time of 31:11. As I exchanged handshakes, I had no idea who had won. I don't think the 3 guys did either. I didn't ask anyway. Instead, I decided to walk on and get first pick of the goody bags and t shirts.

Afterwards, I watched a fair chunk of the 900 plus field coming in while chatting to a Whitemoss friend Paul White who returned to compete in the Mens League last year and will do so again in 2016. He's training and racing well so hopefully he will be an asset to the team. As far as I'm concerned, an asset constitutes someone willing to compete and give their all, regardless of their level. Paul fits these criteria.

I then hung about for the prize giving, collecting £30 for my finishing place and learning that Russell was given the nod ahead of Michael and Bryan. More crucial than you think with £200 on offer for the winner. On the day, all three of them were credited with the same time (31:04) but Michael has since been given the edge by a single second. Thank goodness there was chip timing.

Initially, I felt a little disappointed, primarily due to my pace slowing to 15:51 in the second 5km, until checking back and seeing that it was my fastest 10km since Stirling in September 2014. Nothing wrong with that.

Full results can be found here.


No comments:

Post a Comment