Monday 12 October 2015

Southern Scandinavia Jaunt Part 4- Happy in Helsingor

During my stay, I had built up a small rapport with the male hotel receptionist. On returning the bicycle on Sunday night, it seemed I was one of the few guests actually hiring them as he asked me if I wanted one again the following day. Alas, I had to inform him I would be going home and wouldn't have time.
 
That said, my flight was in late afternoon, giving me some time to kill during the day. I had seen as much of Copenhagen as I wanted to and felt I had put the Lund return to bed on Saturday so decided to round off with a visit to somewhere I hadn't been before. Perusing my Denmark guide book, I settled for Helsingor. It was a short train journey away and I could take the train from there straight to the airport. A neat way to conclude things. Decision made, off I went. Around 40 minutes later, I disembarked at the station below.

 
With no bicycle this time, I couldn't venture too far but I also had my luggage so cycling would have proven a chore anyway. Helsingor is located on the north east coast of Zealand, the same island part of Denmark as Copenhagen. There was certainly a very stiff sea breeze. No rain however. As already eluded to, the Oresund Bridge provides a route by car or train from Denmark to Sweden. An alternative mode of transport is found here where regular ferries can transport you from Helsingor to the Swedish town of Helsingborg. On a clear day like this was, there are great views across to the Swedish mainland. I visited Helsingborg back during my halcyon days of early 2004 when my brother and I took in a Helsingborgs v Kalmar football match over the Easter weekend (the home team lost 2-1 and missed a penalty). On another day I may have partaken in the ferry crossing but, alas, time didn't allow. Instead, I made tracks towards one of Helsingor's most famous attractions, Kronborg Castle (pictured below).
 


 
The castle is best known as being the setting for Shakespeare's play, Hamlet. Built in the late 1500s for the then King and Queen of Denmark, it's certainly a very imposing building inside and out. Helpfully, I was provided a place to store my case which allowed me to tour the grounds, courtyard and hallways unhindered. It's quite something. I recommend a visit.
 
After my dose of culture, there remained just enough time for a leisurely wander round some of Helsingor's quaint streets. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, the tranquillity was welcome. It was a working day so the quiet could be expected.

 
With that, the moment finally came to say farvel (goodbye in Danish) and hej da (the Swedish equivalent) to Copenhagen, Helsingor, Lund, Bjarred, Fjelie, Fladie and any other settlements I had passed through at some time or another over my 4 day stay. The train journey to Copenhagen Airport for the flight back to Edinburgh brought to an end an excellent and emotional trip I've wanted to do for so long. It had been 11 years in the making.

I don't blame anyone reading this for thinking "what's all the fuss about?" but you really have to be me to understand how important it was to make this journey. In 2004, I enjoyed the best 6 months of my life in Lund. As the years passed, the desire to return grew. This year, enough was enough and I had to do it. The desperation to go has been cured now but I definitely won't leave it for another 11 years before the next time. This little part of Scandinavia occupies a big place in my heart. My old lecturer Henrik Norinder told me student life is eternal in Lund. He's absoloutely right. In the words of Taylor Swift's most recent hit, I'd ask this area of the world to say you'll remember me. Why? Well because I will, without a shadow of a doubt, remember you.

If you've read all 4 parts, thank you and I hope it was worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment