Wednesday 21 October 2015

George Cummings Road Relay, 26th September 2015

Following the Copenhagen Half Marathon, I came to the conclusion that heavier training mileages and longer races are not really working for me. While having the stamina in Copenhagen, I had no real turn of pace. In other words, more miles seem to hinder rather than improve me. I also felt that my training since returning from my summer holiday had felt routine and stale and, quite frankly, my enthusiasm simply wasn't there at times. A chat with my Dad saw us agree some tweaks to restore my mojo.



The George Cummings Road Relay came at the end of my first full week of the tweaked regime. I felt in need of a burn up. Unfortunately only one of my club mates, Ross Stephen, was of similar mind and we turned out to be the only two Cambuslang Harriers athletes present, supported by Ross' parents, my Dad and Mike Johnston. We were joined by a Maryhill Harrier to form a three quarter team. Disappointing considering how well we've supported this race in the past but c'est la vie.



Ross took 1st leg, running 14:14 for the 2.7 mile loop, bringing us in 7th. I took over, running with a bit of aggression to try and pull in some of those ahead. Ultimately I did though lost out to Inverclyde's Michael Houston, one of those I made up ground on, in a late sprint. I brought us in 5th which, if we had a full quartet and maintained position, would have won us a prize. My time was 13:11, 6 seconds down on my time on 3rd leg in 2014 and 13 seconds down on my 1st leg effort in 2013. This was fine for my state of fitness on the day though I feel the need to return next year to reverse my trend of gradually slowing times on the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment