Friday 7 August 2015

It's Been A While

The last month or so can certainly be described as hectic. As the date of my summer holiday approached (18th July), time became squeezed to the extent training and updating this blog effectively went out the window. With no race targets, I had intended July to be a "down" month running wise but the break came about a little sooner than I hoped, the week leading up to the holiday rather than the first week of it.
 
My running probably hit one of its all time peaks on the evening of 27th June at the British Milers Club Grand Prix, Watford. I lined up in the B 5000m for the highest quality track race I have ever been part of. Run in noisy surroundings under floodlights, I produced a personal best of 14:44.54 to finish 16th out of 18 finishers! It was an incredible atmosphere. I'll produce a more full write up when time allows.
 
The following Sunday (5th July) at Kilmarnock, I lined up again for Whitemoss in the Mens League. Fears of an "after the Lord Mayor's Show" feeling were dispelled when, after 12 years, I won my first ever race in the league, running 2:02.79 in the 800m B race. This was followed up with a personal best of 9:46.55 in the 3000m steeplechase and 15:06.19 for the 5000m, claiming maximum points in both events. More significantly, the team finished 3rd, a single point behind 2nd placed Lasswade, leaving the top 4 in Division 2 looking like this:-
 
1. Arbroath- 26
2. Lasswade- 21
3. Inverclyde- 20 (683 match points)
4. Whitemoss- 20 (637 match points)

 
This means, for the first time for several years, the team goes into the last match in contention for promotion. 2nd place and 8 points more than Lasswade at Meadowbank on 30th August will do it for us. You never know.
 
As for the holiday, my brother and I again had a relaxing 15 days in Benalmadena on Spain's Costa del Sol. It was our usual mix of sunshine, good food and a lot of refreshments. I may expand in a future post if time allows.

 
Above: the Costa del Sol coastline, stretching to Malaga and beyond.
 
 
Above: the award winning Benalmadena Marina.

No comments:

Post a Comment