Thursday 18 June 2015

Blast From The Past- Calderglen Harriers Christmas Handicap 2008

Over 350 miles of driving over 2 days and 4 races in an afternoon at the latest Mens League match at Inverness has left me a little depleted of energy this week. A report on that weekend will follow once I have recovered sufficient strength to write one.
 
For now, I go back in time again to an event from my running past. Every year, Calderglen Harriers hold a Christmas handicap race. A lot of clubs hold similar events. The Calderglen version comprises 5 laps on a road circuit of the park amounting to 4 miles. The race format involves every participant starting in order of ability from slowest to fastest. The first across the finish line, regardless of when they set off, wins. Fancy dress is compulsory and everyone participating brings a small prize to allow each participant to leave with something at the end of the day. The winner gets first pick followed by the runner up and so on.
 
Generally the first runner off has a sufficient scent of victory in their nostrils to hold on to their advantage. In 2003 however, my handicap was miscalculated to the extent I accidentally won the race. Needless to say, the following year, several runners had nearly finished before I had set off, no stone being unturned to avoid a repeat result.
 
My running attire ranged over the years from Santa Claus, a "118" runner and Superman. In 2008, my last Calderglen Christmas handicap to date, I donned a vest, false moustache, bandana, hair extensions and wrestling tights (all purchased from various online sources) to compete as none other than Hulk Hogan. Not even the power of Hulkamania could deliver victory as I finished in a time of 22:26, 2nd fastest overall but in 10th place out of 15 finishers. Time wise, Robocop (Calderglen stalwart Martin Duthie) pipped me, clocking 22:01. Will I compete in the event again? Never say never. I need another costume first.

Above: a motley crew, some of the participants in the 2008 edition pre-race.

No comments:

Post a Comment