Sunday 15 March 2015

Armagh 2015, 19th-21st February 2015

Rather than a blow by blow account of the race alone, what follows is an overview of the 3 day trip.
 
Thursday- I was picked up at Belfast International Airport around midday by Christine from Armagh AC for the hour or so trip to Armagh. On this my fourth visit, I would be staying for the first time at the Charlemont Arms Hotel. It overlooked the Mall where the race takes place and apparently the post race social would be there as well so I hit it off. Until my room was ready, I went along to the lunch reception being hosted by the Mayor of Armagh for all the race participants, the first helping of a mountain of food I would consume during my stay. I then headed back to the hotel where, having been up since 6.30am to get to the airport, decided to have a top up nap. That lasted around 2 hours and was well worth it.
 
I was psyched up for the race and, pleasingly, put in a performance to match, clocking 14:40 for 40th place in a field of 107 runners. It's crazy to think that this was a new personal best by 5 seconds, improving on my last Armagh appearance in 2013, but saw me finish 15 places lower. 55 runners broke 15 minutes in a race won by American Joe Stilin in 13:59. World triathlon champion Jonathan Brownlee finished 3rd in 14:01 and first Scot was Derek Hawkins in 14:07 for 8th place. The You Tube link and photo, both below, can tell the story of the evening better than I can.
 
 
 
 
In the open mens 3k, the Cambuslang contingent comprised Dave Thom (53rd, 10:08), Colin Feechan (60th, 10:14), Robert Rossborough (99th, 10:54) and David Cooney (144th, 13:12).
 
After attending the post race prizegiving (for the sandwiches, cakes and hot drinks because I hadn't won anything), I had a warm down jog to the hotel, freshened up and changed and enjoyed dinner and a few refreshments. Lasagne at midnight? Only at the Armagh International Road Races. For the sake of sparing the embarrassment of some, I'll leave it there. What happens in Armagh stays in Armagh!
 
Friday- proceedings took a gentler pace over the following two days. I joined Dave, Colin and Robert for a gentle morning jog round some parkland near the Armagh City Hotel. The run from and back to my own hotel brought my run up to 7 miles. It felt enough. After showering, I said my goodbyes to the Cambuslang party, which also included long time member Bob Burt. I was staying an extra day since I had arrived a day later. I then played the tourist for the afternoon, joining a contingent of French athletes and officials for a visit to the Navan Centre and Fort which included a splendid lunch. For someone who got an A for Higher French, my ability to communicate with them can be graded D minus. 
 
Later on, I had the pleasure of attending a dinner hosted by Armagh AC for those athletes still in town (primarily the aforesaid French). Again, this handily took place at the Charlemont Arms. Thanks to Armagh AC chair Brian Vallely for his invitation to this. After dinner and bidding farewell to the French ( I possessed enough language skills for this task), a pleasant evening was rounded off in the residents bar. Well I did only have to travel upstairs.
 
Saturday- after a 3 mile jog comprising a few laps of the Mall, I enjoyed breakfast in the hotel having missed it the day before on account of not being hungry after my midnight lasagne feast. After some free time to myself, I met up with my transport to Belfast City airport and rounded off this stay in Armagh with a hearty lunch of Irish stew and coffee. At the airport, having a couple of hours to kill, for the first time, I had a couple of pints in the airport bar, raising a glass to myself to a successful race and utterly brilliant trip. To cap it all, on returning home, I had a recording of Queen's Park's league game that day waiting for me. Yes, we were shown live on BBC Alba. Queen's Park-2, Berwick Rangers-1. What a way to round things off.
 
If I try to name anyone, I'll either get it wrong or miss someone so I will give a heartfelt thanks to each and every person I met in Armagh for their hospitality and company. Out of my 4 visits, this was the best. Roll on 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment