Wednesday 31 December 2014

Get to Beith on 2nd January

I have championed the cause of the Beith Harriers New Year Road Races twice before on this blog and make no apologies for doing so again. It has a special place in the history of athletics in Scotland being arguably the country's oldest race- the first set of results date back to 1929. After a gap in 2014, the event is back on the calendar and happening on 2nd January 2015.
 
I'll probably not gain much street cred for saying this but I am not a fan of Parkruns. Granted, they have their place but discussion of their merits or otherwise could take up a separate article. Suffice to say I do not dislike Parkruns per se but at times I have bemoaned their popularity at the expense of traditional club races. I will look with interest at the numbers attending New Years Day Parkruns (I've read about some Parkrun "double headers") and also how many appear at Glengarnock Industrial Estate on Friday. I have spread word of the event around. If you're reading this and, like me, believe in keeping a traditional old race alive, please do the same. So, take 1st January to sober up and toe the line with me on the 2nd!
 
Race details are here and a great article on its history is here.




No comments:

Post a Comment