Friday 3 October 2014

George Cummings Road Relay, 27th September 2014

Having made my first appearance in this race for some years last year, I returned to the Renfrewshire village of Houston for another attempt. It was warm, a holiday weekend, the sun was shining and I felt in a good mood.
 
I experimented by using the race as part of my Saturday double training, going out a 5 mile jog in the morning in East Kilbride then taking on 3rd leg in the afternoon. Apart from the first half mile when I overtook Inverclyde's B team to move us into 4th place, our final position, I had a completely solo effort, clocking 13:05 for the undulating 2.7 mile course. This was only 7 seconds outside my previous best when I had the benefit of competing against Lachlan Oates during 1st leg so it gave me a good training effect.


Above: ploughing a lonely furrow on 3rd leg. Photo courtesy of Alan Derrick.

Overall, I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon with some great company. With no marathons on the agenda (a lesson well and truly learned), hopefully there are more days like this to come.
 
The Cambuslang performances were as follows:-

Men's A team- 4th

Gordon Robertson, 13:55
Bobby Bristow, 13:55
Me, 13:05
Robert Gilroy, 13:03

Men's B team- 9th

George Pettit, 14:36
Greg Hastie, 14:38
Alistair Campbell, 14:08
Scott Hunter, 15:12

Women- 2nd

Eve Mackinnon, 16:03- youngest Cambuslang runner competing and debut in a senior relay.
Caitlin Hendry, 16:19
Katie Bristow, 16:13

Mixed team

Kirsty Anderson, 17:07
Barnie Gough, 17:15

No comments:

Post a Comment