Tuesday 7 October 2014

Amazing Who You Meet 8

I made a late decision to contest this year's Great Scottish Run Half Marathon due to my healthy position in the Scottish Road Running Grand Prix. It being my first half marathon since 2010 and without the level of mileage required to race the distance, I feel more than content with 19th place in an even paced personal best of 1:09:03.

While not particularly enjoying it at the time, I had the honour of running alongside a 2 time World Marathon champion and the winner of the 2011 Boston and 2011 and 2013 Frankfurt Marathons, Edna Kiplagat and Caroline Kilel respectively. They were running an ideal pace for me so I considered it made sense to make use of their experience, stick with them and maybe get pulled through to pick some stragglers off later. The photo below shows me with both women in Pollok Park after 5 miles. I eventually succumbed to them, Kiplagat doing 1:07:57 and Kilel 1:08:53, and my first defeat to a lady since 2008 (I can't recall the last time I lost to two ladies in one race). I guess however there's no disgrace here. Two full time Africans versus a beer drinking, curry loving solicitor after all! Photo courtesy of Chris Upson.






No comments:

Post a Comment