Monday 5 May 2014

Scottish 10,000m Championships, 25th April 2014


 
 
Sometimes a picture can say much more than words ever can. Bobby Gavin's photo above does. The Scottish 10,000m Championships was something I'd never tried. This year, it took place on a Friday night on the track at Hutchesons Grammar School in Glasgow. I decided it was worth a go. It proved worth my while.
 
5 days before the race, I was at the first Mens League match of 2014 at Grangemouth. Often, I double up in league matches but, with the 10,000m in mind, erred on the side of caution and lined up only for the 5000m. 3rd place in a time of 15:14.1 with a good, even pace was a satisfactory result.
 
Three 10,000m races were taking place, graded according to predicted finishing times, with the 3 fastest clockings over all the races winning Scottish medals. On paper, the medallists would come from my race but you can never tell.
 
The inclusion of pacemakers would help first timers over this distance on the track. Personally, I had some experience with two previous 10,000m outings in the Mens League with a best time of 31:50. 12 athletes comprising 10 entrants and 2 pacemakers, took to the start line.
 
I aimed to get as far into the race as possible feeling as well as I could. Luke Traynor, Neil Renault and Lachlan Oates all chased the faster pacemaker, Craig Ruddy, while I tucked into the back of the pack following the other one, Scott McDonald. There was a bit of a breeze on the back straight so I was content to sit at the rear end of the group and tick off the laps in a relaxed fashion. 25 laps of the track after all. No need to commit too quickly. I ignored both my watch and the clock positioned at the start/finish line and looked straight ahead.
 
Coming up to 2000m (5 laps), I felt I was beginning to check my stride to avoid clipping other runners' heels so stepped out lane 1 and had a mini surge to the front of the pack and onto the pacemaker's shoulder. 6:16 for 2000m. Approximately 31:10-31:15 pace. From then on, no-one from the chasing pack overtook me but, from eye witness accounts later, the gap between me and them varied. I felt able at times to overtake Scott. However, this would have left me in no mans land contending with the back straight wind with over half the race still to go so I stayed alongside him. "Let the pacemaker do his job" I decided.
 
I went through 5000m in 15:40. I had planned pre-race to be fresh enough at halfway to treat the second half as a straight 5000m race. The pace quickened, Scott finished his duties at 6000m (10 laps to go) and I sought to execute the plan.
 
Luke was so far on his way to the race win, I couldn't see him. Neil and Lachlan though had dropped off and I was gaining on Lachlan with every stride. Following advice to "go straight past," I did just that when I caught him and was assured from there by spectators I occupied a medal position. Not knowing how much of a gap I had, I simply ploughed on.
 
Amazingly, I was feeling stronger as the race progressed and still moving faster. Going into the last 3000m, I was running under 31 minute pace. For a spell, I closed the gap on Neil before he appeared to find a second wind and opened it again. As I received the bell for one lap to go, I listened out for it ringing again. By the time I heard it, I had reached the other side of the track so had a gap of at least 100m. Only then, with 300m to go, did I relax and stride out towards the moment captured at the beginning of this article.
 
I finished 3rd in a new track personal best of 31:07 having run the second 5000m in 15:27 and the last mile in approximately 4:50. Luke won in 30:13 with Neil 2nd in 30:58. I'm under no illusions about where I stand as a 10,000m runner in Scotland but this definitely ranks as one of my best ever race results.
 
Above: another of Bobby Gavin's photos. From left to right- Neil Renault, Luke Traynor and me.
 
I didn't fly the Cambuslang flag solo on the night as, all making their track 10,000m debuts, Shaun Butler and recent recruit Chris Upson ran the B race while Shazad Hakeem and James Healey finished 2nd and 3rd respectively in the C race.
 
Results from all 3 races are here.
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Well done, Stuart. I saw your result and knew if was a fine run. Good to see how much it meant to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron. Bobby Gavin's photo couldn't have captured the moment better.

    ReplyDelete