Wednesday 22 May 2013

Swedish Memories

This weekend past stirred a few memories in me. The annual Eurovision Song Contest took place in the Swedish city of Malmo. This time 9 years ago, I was an exchange student in the town of Lund, a 10 minute train journey from Malmo. I can only imagine that Lund, especially the student population, would have had a party atmosphere with Eurovision in such close proximity.

I specifically recall, on the day of the 2004 Eurovision Song Contest, I took part in the Gothenburg Half Marathon. After the race, I embarked on a 3 hour trip on the train south back to Lund. As the conductor came round to check my train ticket, he indicated that the first class area was empty and I should go through to help myself to a seat. I took up this offer and spread myself over two of them. I actually made it back in time to head out to watch the contest with my Swedish flatmates then party into the night. The Swedish entry was called "Det Gor Ont" which translates roughly as "It Hurts." I know this because there was an Engligh version of the song. I heard both versions on radio in Sweden often enough. I often found, as the refreshments flowed of an evening, the foreigners I became acquainted with had less difficulty understanding me. Similarly, my Swedish improved to the point I just about learned all the words of the song. That is both versions. The non-English one can be found here. Catchy!

Suffice to say, I reflected on some happy memories as this year's contest played out, even digging out my half marathon medal plus a CD of another song I liked which two of my Swedish flatmates gave me as a leaving present. The song is called "Var Ska Vi Sova I Natt." This translates as "Where Shall We Sleep Tonight." Don't ask! Listen to it here

Something I noted on TV was the use of a bridge on which the competing singers walked to enter the arena. This depicted the Oresund Bridge, a structure which links mainland Sweden to Denmark by road and rail. Given the Danes won this year and presumably the 2014 contest will be in Copenhagen, maybe the same bridge could be used to save on presentation costs and I can again write a nostalgic article like this one.

Above: Gothenburgh Half Marathon 2004 medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment