Sunday 24 March 2013

Road to Recovery

Following on from the Inter Counties Cross Country, as I write this, I feel so much healthier. I guess I've joined illustrious company with even the greats like Paula Radcliffe and Haile Gebrselassie having at least one DNF (Did Not Finish) to their names. As long as I don't get any more.
 
In the days after the Inter Counties, I remained ill with persistent coughing and shivering and general weakness. The night after the race, I was in bed at 8.30pm and, from the Monday to Friday, only left the house to go to work. My daily routine was out to work in the morning then, once home at night, I didn't cross the door again until the following morning. The rest week was actually planned. Its housebound nature wasn't.
 
Last Sunday (17th March) I decided to run for the first time since stepping off the course at Cofton Park. I toiled through 7 miles in 47:26, coughing almost every step of the way and finishing (yes, I finished this one) with 2 aching thighs clearly not used to the exertion. My training for week commencing Monday 18th March has looked like this.
 
Monday: 8.25 miles easy (55:53).
 
Tuesday: Club, Hampden run, 7.8 miles (50:14).
 
Wednesday: 8 x High Point hill reps, 7.1 miles including warm up and warm down.
 
Thursday: 2 x 10 minutes with 30 seconds recovery, (mile pace starting at 5:55 and improving to 5:35-5:40), 7 miles including warm up and warm down.
 
Friday: Rest
 
Saturday: 4 x 5 minutes with 1 minute jog recoveries (4 miles covered in 22:42), 7.4 miles including warm up and warm down.
 
Sunday: 10.5 miles easy (1:15:31).
 
Mileage: 48
 
Monday's run felt similar to the day before- sluggish with intermittent coughing. Tuesday's run at the club went very well and gave me the confidence to go and see my old friend the High Point for a hill session the following night. My breathing was improving every day. I felt the need to sharpen up by Thursday so did a session we've done at the club a few times. At my peak, I'd do 5:10-5:20 mile pace so I've some work to do. I took Friday off to go to the Scotland v Wales game (yes, I know) and punished myself for my foolishness with a road reps session the next day. Today's run took place in an icy wind so I didn't worry about pace and took it relaxed.
 
One day at a time but definitely getting there.


No comments:

Post a Comment