Monday 3 December 2012

3k On The Green, 30th November 2012

Feeling tired after Liverpool, I was more than happy to have the week off work, especially at this cold, dark time of year. Work had been seriously getting on top of me, making me fraught and anxious so a few days away from the daily cycle of work, training, eating, sleeping were a god send. I resisted doing any double sessions (bed was a more appealing place to be in the mornings) and stuck to my normal training regime but enjoying more recovery time- track on Monday night, club run on Tuesday night, hills on Wednesday and a relaxed 8 miles on Thursday though I did the latter 2 sessions during the day. Fellow Harrier Dave Thom tipped me off about the monthly 3k On The Green which happened to be on Friday lunchtime so, feeling I'd had enough rest all week, I abandoned my rest day to have a go.
On race day, I got up nice and early at 9.45am (!) so I wouldn't be late for the 12.30pm start at Glasgow Green. My target all week was to be up before the Popmaster quiz began on Ken Bruce's Radio 2 show at 10.30am. It wasn't easy but I managed it every morning with varying amounts of time to spare. Race headquarters was at the McLellan Arch in Glasgow Green which I found with the aid of Google maps. Paying at the parking meter, my coins weren't being accepted. A local told me the meter "didn't like too many coins." I'll remember that line next time I get a parking ticket. It took enough to let me stay until around 1pm so I hoped and prayed I'd be finished and warmed down by then.
This was a very informal affair. A well dressed guy who looked to be on his lunch hour showed up with 2 paper cups (one for the £2 entry fees, the other with pins), numbers, entry forms, water and a tin of chocolates. After warming up with clubmates George Pettit and Robert Anderson, George and I lined up with 23 others under the Arch. "3, 2, 1, GO." I guess that was the gun.
The route was a straightforward, flat out and back route along the Clydeside. The early pace caught me cold with a fast starting John Denovan (Westerlands) opening a sizable gap. I meanwhile was being pushed hard by a few runners including Shettleston pair Kevin Brydon and Brian McGarrity. I'd been told a footbridge signalled the turning point. At one bridge, my watch said 3 minutes something so unless we were all on for 7 minute 3km pace, that wasn't it. As we approached the actual turn, I slowly edged away from the chasing pack and closed the gap Denovan had opened. I moved past just before the turn. Someone sportingly shouted I had reached it to prevent me running on towards the Barras.
Heading back to the Arch, I started feeling stronger and tried to work my legs that bit faster. Despite the crisp conditions, the path wasn't slippery. I never felt relaxed though because I could sense the rest of the field giving chase. I'd pay for it if I let up and I treated the race as seriously as any I've run recently. My efforts were enough to give me the win in a new course record of 9:04. Kevin Brydon in 2nd place (9:18) also broke the old record and Brian McGarrity (9:28) finished only 7 seconds outside it. In total, 6 runners broke 10 minutes, the others being Law and District's Darran Muir (9:30), John Denovan (9:36) and Bellahouston Harrier Steven Prentice (9:57). George meanwhile took a huge chunk off his course best, over 40 seconds, in taking 7th place in 10:10.
Afterwards, I enjoyed chatting with a few folk while recovering with some water and a chocolate. With a warm down to do, the meter took enough silver to give me another 10 minutes, sufficient time to complete a mile and a half.
This wee event takes place on the last Friday of every month, except December. I can't recommend it enough. I loved it.

1 comment:

  1. Great write-up! I knew I'd been beat when you started to stride away quite easily in the last km. Thanks for coming down.

    ReplyDelete