Monday 31 October 2011

Scottish Athletics Awards 2011/Amazing Who You Meet 6

For the fourth consecutive year, I got my junket (I'm not going to pretend it's anything else) to the Scottish Athletics Awards courtesy of Whitemoss AAC. I've been a member of Whitemoss in some shape or form since May 1996- first claim athlete, second claim athlete, junior committee member, website administrator (twice) and, most recently, treasurer, a post I only relinquished in October 2010 after three and a half years. I content myself now with Mens League team manager. I consider the annual blow out a reward for services rendered.

Whitemoss had something to celebrate having achieved charity status from the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator. Off the track, a lot is happening for Whitemoss. I may devote another post to it. Having taken responsibility for the charity application, I didn't feel a total fraud taking up the free ticket. We weren't as close to the back of the room as normal which suggested an award may be in the offing. Sure enough, the club won Community Club of the Year. It was only natural the whole table got in the photo. 

Above: Whitemoss Chairman Graham Ravenscroft (middle, red tie) receiving the Community Club of the Year Award on behalf of Whitemoss. Also in the photo, from left to right, are Allan Boyd (coach), Iain McEwan (coach), Mark Stringer (secretary and team manager), myself (hanger on, see above), Willie Sutherland (coach and auditor) and John Robertson (athlete and junior committee member).

After the disappointment that was Daley Thomson last year, 1996 Olympic 400m silver medallist Roger Black proved himself a Guest of Honour worthy of the name, giving an entertaining speech and being readily available for autographs and photographs for whoever asked. I managed to get both. I like his taste in dinner wear.

James Bond and Johnny English. You decide which is which. I hope I look that young when I'm his age.


No comments:

Post a Comment