Sunday 9 October 2011

BUPA Great Edinburgh 10k, 2nd October 2011

Selection for this race came 10 days beforehand. I considered an overnight stay but it seemed, unless I wanted to book some quirky guesthouse or other, the nearest I could get to Edinburgh was about 7 miles away. Besides, I had club duties transporting visitors from Armagh to the McAndrew Relay and back the day before so I settled for a 7am rise to get ready and drive through for the 10.35am start since there was only one train which would get me there on time and, with the persistent rain, I feared a delay or cancellation. Arriving wasn't without its difficulties but the short account is I made it to a soggy Holyrood Park with time to spare.

District selection entitled me to stand in the elite start where we hung about until Channel 5 were ready for the select few to be introduced and do their wee waving bit to the crowds. Getting this treatment were Titus Mbishi (Kenya), Jose Manuel Martinez (Spain), Arizona based Scot Andrew Lemoncello (I don't think he recognised me from the 2008 Scottish Senior 5000m) and Great North Run winner Charles Mathathi (Kenya). I was anxious to get underway.

As we tackled the first couple of kilometres uphill round Arthur's Seat out of Holyrood Park, I decided both for my own race prospects and for the sake of another 30 seconds on TV, it wasn't worth pursuing Mathathi and Mbishi and focussed on placing well among the Brits around me. I overtook Michael Crawley of Durham City Harriers and tried to move away from various Scottish adversaries including Murray Strain, Michael Gillespie and Conor McNulty. By the time we hit the city centre streets, I had a bit of a gap ahead of me. I don't know how close anyone else was to me because as I've said before, I never look back in a race.

As I negotiated the undulating course, I recognised East District runners Alex Hendry, who beat me in the Inter Regional 5000m, and John Newsom. I saw from the TV coverage later both had gone with Lemoncello at the start. Encouragingly they were coming back to me. Maybe these High Point hill sessions do work. By the time we reached the Meadows between 5km and 6km, Hendry had dropped behind Newsom and I was gaining with every stride. On a long, flat stretch, I took my chance and overtook without a first look never mind a second one and pounded up a slight incline on a right turn out the Meadows to try and open a gap. As well as I was running, I knew guys like Hendry were more than capable runners and I couldn't ease up.

Eventually, we headed along Princes Street where the crowds thickened and the last two flat, downhill kilometres. I was feeling strong and confident. In an interesting development ahead, Newsom had caught and overtaken another Kenyan, John Kelai, who had been 3rd early on. I was gaining as well. He had blown a gasket. I went through 8km (5 miles approx) in 25:13. Going down the Royal Mile back to Holyrood Park, I threw everything into catching Newsom and Kelai. Probably sensing a lawyer from East Kilbride was about to beat him (okay, maybe not), Kelai rallied and managed to keep his lead over me. Seeing the front of my vest, a random guy outside a pub shouted "come on Gibson" which did make me smile.

I entered the home straight flat out, finishing in 31:07, hands in the air for the camera pointed at me hoping it would make the TV coverage. It didn't. I ran the final 2km in 5:54 and it wasn't enough to gain another place. I narrowly avoided walking in on race winner Mathathi's Channel 5 interview and went through the finishing funnel where I exchanged high fives with the children handing out the goody bags.

I was delighted to place 12th and 3rd Scot with my 2nd fastest 10k ever over a tough course in the rain. At long last, I feel I'm getting close to my true form. Following a gentle warm down, I enjoyed a Sunday roast and a couple of beers on Rose Street and headed home knackered. My legs took 3 days to recover.

Thank yous are due to my Dad for getting me to Edinburgh, Sweatshop's Gavin Harvie for holding on to my clothing during the race and my warm down and giving me a carrier bag for my muddy shoes and, last but definitely not least, a nice Edinburgh couple called Bill and Winifred who helped us locate my car post race after my Dad couldn't find where he parked it. I'll never entertain any cynical comments about Edinburgh folk again.

Full race results are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment