Sunday 18 September 2011

Strathclyde Parkrun 5k, 17th September 2011

After getting blown to pieces round the Isle of Cumbrae (report below), I had been very jaded for much of the week, not only in a running sense. At times during the working week, I was sitting at my desk yawning. I still put in a full training week including a High Point hill session on my birthday on Thursday. I took Friday off. With no Glasgow Endurance or club sessions and still being a little fragile physically, I decided it was a nice time to try a wee Parkrun. Pollok Park was cancelled for a cattle show but I knew Strathclyde was much flatter and quite popular with Cambuslang members so I pottered along. It would also be my first chance to mingle since being elected club captain out the blue at the AGM on 13th September.

I had as long a lie in as I could get away with, until 8.10am, gulped down some cereal, white toast and a cup of tea and rushed to the venue, leaving it a little neat, arriving 15 minutes before the 9.30am start. I had enough time to chat to club coach Robert Anderson then do a brief warm up with Kirsty Grant (thanks again for the birthday card if you're reading Kirsty) and Gavin Harvie before assembling at the start with 159 others.

The route is round the loch from the Watersport Centre end towards M & Ds theme park then the same way back. I've learned to manage my expectations at Parkruns- they are early in the day, I was barely an hour after my breakfast and been up for less than 2 hours so my body may not quite be awake. After a few strides to establish rhythm and a space on the path, I moved into the lead. Unlike Millport, I had no bike to chase and it became a solo effort of me against the clock. I worked as hard as I could including up the one small incline on the course and through some large puddles which rendered my new shoes filthy. I was wearing a pair of K Swiss trainers which I won as a prize at Sunderland. A Parkrun was a good place to try them out. At 3km, there was an awkward 180 degree turn which sent me back towards the finish with a cross wind to contend with. I could see the runners behind me but couldn't recognise anyone to shout encouragement. After going down the same incline, I had a long slog back to where I started. As I moved onto the wet grass to the finish, I managed to avoid slipping and crossed the finish line in a satisfying time of 15:43 for what essentially turned out to be a 5km tempo run. It's my fastest Parkrun and puts me 5th on the all time list for the Strathclyde event.

I felt totally knackered and wandered back out to cheer some folk in, including Parkrun regular Ian Goudie. 82 and counting. I then had a walk and a chat with Gavin Harvie. Conversation turned to my new watch, Garmin FR 60. Apparently I have to "calibrate the footpod" frequently. I know, double Dutch to me too. I will try it. I jogged a mile with him and Kirsty, spoke to old uni friend Kevin Farmer, chatted at length to clubmates Scott Hunter, David Thom and Mick O'Hagan then did another 2 miles on my own to give me 6 for the day. Overall, a nice, sociable morning, what running should be all about really.

In the afternoon, I pulled on one of my birthday presents, the new Queen's Park strip, and went along to Hampden with my Dad to see if they could maintain my good mood. Final score:- Queen's Park-1, Alloa Athletic-3. You can't have everything.

Strathclyde Parkrun Event 73, Ronhill Cambuslang Results

1st: Stuart Gibson, 15:43
7th: Mick O'Hagan, 17:54
8th: Scott Hunter, 18:02
12th: Dave Thom, 18:32
74th: Kirsty Grant, 24:28- 8th female

No comments:

Post a Comment