Saturday 3 September 2011

Blast From The Past- Calderglen Harriers 10 Mile Road Race

I'm not delving too far back for this. Reproduced below is an article I wrote at the time about Calderglen Harriers' 25th Anniversary Road Race in September 2009. Robert Gilroy and I flew the Cambuslang flag.

"Myself and Robert were 2 of 93 runners to line up for this road race
yesterday, resurrected for one year only after an approximate 20 year
absence for Calderglen Harriers' 25th anniversary. Judging by the
severity of the course, I doubt it will be back by popular demand. The
start and finish were a 5 minute drive from the house so there was no
excuse for me.
We set off at 10am sharp from the start in Kelvin Industrial Estate
onto a long straight stretch down Greenhills Road towards Morrisons
which took care of the first mile. We then veered left into the
country roads on East Kilbride's outskirts. A leading pack of 3 had
formed comprising myself, Robert and David Watt from the host club.
The country roads are familiar to me having trained on them for
several years but it didn't make things any easier. At the 2 mile
point, I was only 5 minutes from home. At 3 miles we passed some
kennels. 2 dogs ran to the fence to bark at Robert but just looked at
me. There was then a rather nasty climb which knocked a bit of
stuffing out of me.
We then followed an undulating circuit through the country roads past
farmhouses, tractors and the odd motorist. Robert gradually built up a
lead while I pulled away from David Watt. Robert remained visible
throughout though. Sadly all the shortcuts I knew were stewarded and
my former clubmates were in no mood to be charitable so I had no
option but to follow the correct route.
The final mile took us past Langlands Golf Course, up one last steep
hill then along a long straight stretch in the Industrial Estate
before veering left to the finish line. Robert won in a time of 54:15
with me 2nd in 55:28. David Watt was 3rd in 57:46. Ladies winner was
Ayr's Toni McIntosh in 63 minutes.
Every finisher received a Mars bar, banana, water and specially
engraved whisky glass. Not bad for only a £2 entry fee."

Before you ask, no, the race hasn't been run since though it gained largely positive feedback from the participants. £2 was a bargain when you see some of the overpriced rip off events on the calendar now.

Left to right: Robert Gilroy, David Watt, myself. Photo courtesy of http://www.roadrunpics.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment