Saturday 16 January 2016

A Frustrating Start to 2016

Far from a new beginning, 2016 has proven to be a non-starter up to now from a running perspective. Despite training consistently up to 7th January, I had a tickly cough building up which gradually developed into a full blown chest infection. It has floored me completely and I consequently haven't run a step in anger since. At the time of writing, I'm completing a course of antibiotics and steroids which have thankfully had the desired effect, leaving me only with a cough again, albeit it can still be severe and disturb my sleep. At the moment I'm looking at needing to take a loan out the bank for my target races in February, i.e. run them, hope for the best and do the training afterwards.

Apart from going to work, I've barely been out the house for over a week so was determined to make it to Hampden today for the Queen's Park-Montrose match. Wrapped up in a hat, scarf, gloves and 4 layers, I drove through the snow to take in a 1-1 draw with 406 others, played out in a blizzard. That the game actually finished is quite something since the pitch lines were obscured by snow for the majority of the 90 minutes. We hit the woodwork 3 times, missed a penalty and played much of the second half against 10 men, hence, a frustrating afternoon. Still, it was nice to get out again. Hopefully a resumption of training won't be too far off.



Above: a winter wonderland at Hampden.

No comments:

Post a Comment