Sunday 26 April 2015

Amazing Who You Meet 9

I haven't had an "Amazing Who You Meet" feature for a while because I never really bump into anyone famous in day to day life. On Saturday 25th April though, I met someone who fitted the bill.
 
That afternoon Queen's Park drew 1-1 with East Stirlingshire at Hampden Park in their penultimate game in the 2014/15 Scottish Third Division season (it's now referred to as League Two for commercial purposes but I refuse to say that because it's a blatant copying of the English league names and sounds stupid). The outcome of the game meant little because we have already secured 2nd place and a spot in the promotion play offs but I never like us losing so I'm glad we didn't.  Being held after the game were the club's Player of the Year awards in Hampden's Millenium Lounge. The awards no doubt had more candidates compared to last season when we finished bottom with 5 league wins out of 36. I shudder at the memory of some of the horror shows I witnessed.
 
Once the prize giving had concluded, I sought out our current manager Gus MacPherson who agreed to my request for a photograph. Gus has a good pedigree having had a successful playing career with Kilmarnock, Dunfermline and St Mirren. In management he has been in charge at St Mirren and Queen of the South before coming to the Spiders. I gave my Dad one of my "stop embarrassing me" looks when he told Gus I was an athlete. However, to my surprise, Gus then spoke very knowledgably about Scottish athletics, rhyming off several athlete names from the 1980s. He also mentioned that his brother ran for Springburn Harriers. The following article refers to a Stewart MacPherson so he certainly wasn't bluffing. Not only is it amazing who you meet, it's also amazing what you learn about people. After a bit of football chat as well, we shook hands and said our goodbyes.
 

Above left: Queen's Park manager Gus MacPherson, a thoroughly nice man.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment