Wednesday 2 January 2013

Ayr Turkey Trot 10k, 26th December 2012

As most of you will have gathered, I took my performance at the West District Cross Country pretty badly. I spent quite a bit of time over the following days looking back at my training diary and doing a bit of soul searching, as a result of which, I started to make some gradual life changes. Nothing drastic, just small things for the better. I'll go into them more in a later post. Contrary to expectations, I earned selection for the West of Scotland team to do the Inter District Cross Country in Edinburgh. This is a race I have never run and have indeed declined selection for in the last 2 years but such was my wish to put the Battle of Inverkip to bed, I accepted.
 
The Christmas period and lead up inevitably brings a disruption in routine and a number of social engagements although I'd be lying if I said the social opportunities were not welcome. I'm pleased to say I kept training going and put in a good reps session on the road on Christmas Eve (a Monday), sneaked in a little 4 miler early on Christmas Day (don't tell my mother) and stayed sober enough to drive down to Ayr for the Turkey Trot 10k on Boxing Day.
 
My confidence was still a little fragile so I quietly collected my number, warmed up alone at a block of flats close to the seafront and strived to put myself in a positive mindset. I took my place on the line shortly before the start, said a quick hello to Sarah Hood (Edinburgh AC) then the large field of 284 runners were off.


Above: race start. Photo courtesy of Kenny Girvan.
 
Unlike the previous year, the absence of a galeforce wind meant conditions were more conducive to fast times. The route comprises 3km along the seafront, a left turn inland, a circuit including a narrow cyclepath/walkway and housing estate then rejoining the seafront for the same 3km stretch in reverse. The field slowly thinned out and I found myself sharing the lead with Adam Peters (Shettleston Harriers). I ran alongside him, focussing on getting as far into the race feeling as good as possible. I had seen his clubmate Michael Deason who thrashed me at Inverkip and simply assumed he was in close proximity. Long time readers will know I never look behind in a race. Between 2 and 3km, I felt myself edging away from Adam into the lead directly behind the lead bike. On turning off the seafront, I attempted to inject a turn of pace, similar to one of my Christmas Eve reps, to hopefully establish a decisive advantage. The first 3km were fairly swift, between 9:15 and 9:20.
 
While feeling I was running well, I wasn't totally comfortable, being annoyed by a tickly cough, a leftover of a cold I had before Christmas. Between 4 and 5km, out the blue I heard footsteps and sensed someone coming. Michael Deason appeared on my shoulder and edged ahead. There was little I could do. I passed 5km in 15:27. Clearly there wasn't anything wrong with me physically.
 
The route back to the seafront sees you double back on the rest of the field. I got a lot of positive shouts encouraging me to close the gap. Problem was the seed of doubt planted at Inverkip was still there so while I was capable of this, I didn't truly believe I could do it. I did however see Michael cast a glance back at 7km.
 
I pushed on as hard as I could, passing 8km in about 24:50. The gap wasn't closing though and Michael maintained his momentum to take a fully deserved win in a time of 30:59. I came through as runner up in 31:08, almost 90 seconds faster than 2011 but not enough to take the honours. Adam Peters finished 3rd in 33:13. In the ladies race, Sarah Hood finished 2nd lady in 35:22 behind Kilbarchan's Hayley Haining (34:15 and 6th overall) who broke the lady's course record.
 
From Cambuslang, Alick Walkinshaw took 28th place in 37:43 to take 2nd vet over 50 or "supervet" as they were referred to as during the prizegiving. Unfortunately, only the winner in the category got a prize. Nursing a cold and cough, Kirsty Grant completed day 26 of the Marcathon challenge with a time of 50:15 and 182nd place. Plenty to build on with improved health and fitness.
 
More relaxed with the race over with, I milled about for the post race grub and prizegiving, receiving £40 for my efforts, and chatting to a few people including Ayr's Toni McIntosh who, due to long term injury issues, was consigned to the role of spectator and supporting her sister. Unfortunately in pre-race conversation she had predicted a win for me. Apologies Toni, I hope you didn't put money on it.
 
Finally, this being the first post of 2013, Happy New Year and thanks again for reading.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment