Saturday 5 May 2012

East Kilbride Sports Personality of the Year Awards 2011, 27th April 2012

On Friday 27th April, I had the pleasure of attending the 2011 East Kilbride Sports Personality of the Year Awards at the town's Village Theatre having, much to my disbelief, made the shortlist of 6 for the Adult Male award. Organised by East Kilbride Sports Council, it recognises local sportsmen and sportswomen, clubs and coaches for their achievements. This was the first time I have ever had cause to attend.

Compered in a humorous manner by local DJ Cliff Smith, who is also apparently East Kilbride born Rangers manager Ally McCoist's agent, different people, young and old, and clubs had their moment in the spotlight. I was pretty impressed with the accomplishments of many. Until the awards night, I had no idea the junior female winner, a girl called Pamela Clark, is 2nd in the world in her age group at her chosen sport. Okay, I'm hardly going to settle down on any given evening to watch trampolining but impressive all the same.  Similarly, members of a tae-kwondo club, Mark Hutton's Black Belt Academy, attend and win medals at European level. In the past, East Kilbride has had an athlete, Allan Scott (a former Whitemoss club mate), in UK squads at World Championships and Olympics, the most recent of the latter in Beijing in 2008. Our town holds its own.

Generally, everyone gets their time, being introduced then, while walking on stage, having their achievements narrated to the audience. With everyone in place, the winner is announced then photographed. In the adult female category, wheelchair curler Aileen Neilson edged out multi-talented East Kilbride Disability Sports Club member Diane Gillan who I had spoken to on a previous occasion after she recognised me from my attending the Dolan Baths for aqua jogging sessions. I was up against two other athletes, Kevin Downie and Martin Duthie, footballer Laurie McGinlay and Mark Hutton club member Alexander Gray (tae-kwondo). Standing on stage as Gray was introduced, with his credentials, I genuinely thought he was the clear winner. Imagine the shock when my name came out.

Above: East Kilbride News photo, on stage with my award. Thanks to Alistair Campbell for scanning this in.

Aileen Neilson claimed the overall Sports Personality Award ahead of me but I had already received more than I had anticipated so lapped up the post-ceremony buffet and wine content with my night's work. After all the years plugging away in the sport, I am very grateful and humbled for the recognition.

Above: leaving the post-ceremony spread after some grub and a few white wines.


No comments:

Post a Comment