Thursday 22 March 2012

Blast From The Past- Dundonald 10.5km Road Race 2005

The Dundonald Road Race, held on the first Wednesday in August every year in the lead up to the Dundonald Highland Games, is a race I've run more often than any other having been every year bar one (2006) since 2002. Depending on weather conditions, it tended to alternate between a 10km and 10.5km road race, the decision being dictated by the condition of the playing field which tended to form part of the course. It was a 10km on my first visit when I struggled to a time of 39:18 then was up most of the night unwell after eating a rather cheap and nasty microwaved spaghetti bolognese. More recently, the 10km option has been settled upon.

Having another flick through old training diaries, I found an account of the 2005 edition. If only I had the foresight to have a flutter on my premonition. I notice I sat my driving theory test the day before. I know I failed because, on 15th August, I recorded the fact I sat it again and passed.

"I was 8th here last year and found myself within the top 10 again. Being a little close to the leaders, I resisted temptation to follow them, having harsh memories of previous Dundonald misadventures (cf 2002).
The uphill slog to Symington lay ahead...inside my lungs were burning as were my thighs.
After 3 miles, tactics came into play when, as planned, I made a burst for glory during the mainly flat second half. I moved into the dizzy heights of 4th plus attempted to gain ground on the downhill stretches. At 5 miles, a thought struck me, I had another 1.5 to go. Energy levels were lowering. As did my position, by 3 places, to 7th.
Time- 38:22, course best and 7th place. At my current rate, I will triumph in 2011."

Honestly, that's exactly what I wrote. 2011 seemed a long time away. If only I could predict the lottery numbers.

Above: Dundonald 2011, emerging from the dusk to win. I wish I'd put money on it 6 years earlier. Photo courtesy of my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment