Sunday 12 February 2012

Jog Scotland Canicross Group

Back in November, I wrote an article about canicross, in particular, focussing on Cani Fit, a dog training service and equipment supplier run by Rutherglen based Lindsay Cloughley (pictured on the right of the second photo below). At that time, she organised a canicross trail running group on Wednesday nights at Chatelherault Park in Hamilton. Lindsay has since achieved Jog Scotland status and restarted her canicross group afresh this year as a Jog Scotland group, again on Wednesdays, changing venue to Whitelee Windfarm. As part of my gentle re-introduction to running on dry land, I took up an invitation to attend and take some photos. Even following injury, I think my running still outshines my photography.

Admittedly, my heart was in my mouth driving up the narrow Fenwick Moor to the windfarm on a dark winter night. Once there though, it was a pretty enjoyable evening. Quite a large number of humans and canines had turned up and were divided into two groups for the warm up before a hill session. Having myself there meant I could lead a faster group for a longer warm up while Lindsay (and her Alaskan malamute Suko) could take the other group a shorter route. It worked well with both sets of canicrossers plus the recuperating injured runner reaching the hill in question at roughly the same time. Head torches galore.

Above: one of my better photos. I set the camera to "Night" setting, honestly.

Lindsay then paired folk off for 3 hill reps, taking care to make sure the dogs in pairs were compatible. My job was to set the pairs off. During it all, I tested my tendon with a couple of gentle reps up the hill. No adverse reaction. For the group warm down back I was leant a lovely natured dog called Pixie for some canicrossing who strode along with me at 40 minute 10k pace. I stopped every so often to attempt some action shots. Some turned out. A few didn't.

By the end, the faster group had covered approximately 5km and the second group, about 4km. The tired expressions and comments suggested it was just about enough for most. However, they had gone further than last week and are gradually improving fitness. One lady, who introduced herself as Wendy, and her four legged companion had arrived a little late having missed the windfarm cut off on the Fenwick Moor and ending up halfway to Kilmarnock. I therefore took up Lindsay's offer of a little extra run with Wendy around a 2km loop. During this, I gave Lindsay some feedback about the training group and asked more about Cani Fit. Two dogs are the most she will run at one time- one for each hand- which can be two of other people's or one plus her own, Suko. New dogs are initially run on their own to check both she and they are compatible. In my case, with a trepidaton of dogs, I suppose that would be important!



Just over 4 miles represented progress for me from recent 20 minute jogs and I had helped some people out at the same time. Quite content with my night's training and networking, heart back in mouth, I drove back down the Fenwick Moor home via Eaglesham, treating myself to a haggis supper for dinner and getting home in time to see the second half of Hearts v Celtic.

Useful Links

Cani Sports Scotland races- entry form for an event at Mugdock Park near Milngavie on 26th February. Well worth trying or spectating.
Jog Scotland Canicross group- more information on the group described above.



No comments:

Post a Comment