Wednesday 28 December 2011

Christmas Eve- Parkrun and Footie

Christmas week saw the continuation of a hectic period at work, earning running the role of light relief. With Christmas Day on a Sunday, my plan was to train straight through to Saturday then take Sunday off before the Ayr Turkey Trot 10k on Boxing Day. Training up to and including Friday looked like this:-

Monday: Road, 10 x 2 mins with 1 min jog recoveries, 8.5 miles including warm up and warm down.
Tuesday: Club, Hampden run in reverse, 7.8 miles (46:47)
Wednesday: Tempo, 5km steady (19:24), 5km tempo (17:41), 1 mile warm down, 7.2 miles (43:39)
Thursday: 10 x hill reps, High Point, running hard off the top, 8 miles approx including warm up and warm down.
Friday: 10.2 miles easy (1:07:33)

Being stuck for a session on Christmas Eve, I made an impromptu decision to run the Glasgow Parkrun at Pollok Park for the first time since May. No major races in the immediate future so why not? I've learned to manage my expectations at Parkruns so decided to aim to run at a good tempo without worrying about time. Kirsty had shown up too and after exchanging best wishes I lined up with my brain awake but my body still in bed. I had enough time to exchange pleasantries with Parkrun regular Ian Goudie before being set on our way.

I put in an early surge of pace to wake my body up then settled down. I had Stephen Trainer of Greenock Glenpark for company. I hoped to use the hills to my advantage. I'd probably taken all the wrong turnings possible on previous Parkruns so felt able to take the lead with confidence. With a 10 mile run in my legs from 15 hours earlier, it was feeling like hard work. I felt the hill which rounded off the first lap. I then came to a path which gave a choice of left or right. Knowing left was the wrong direction having gone that way on a previous visit, it left one logical option and I carried on right into the second lap. Trainer was close enough that I couldn't ease off and I kept the effort level constant to the finish.

I was gobsmacked with my time of 15:29. 20 seconds quicker than my previous best at Pollok. 14 seconds faster than the Strathclyde event in September.  It did not feel as quick as that. Trainer was hot on my heels in exactly 16 minutes. After handing in my result barcode, I met Dave Thom who had also clocked an unexpectedly quick time. 18:09 represented his fastest of the year. He got within 4 seconds of it the next morning when he returned for the Christmas Day event. Kirsty got to within 6 seconds of her course best with 23:39. She is participating in some bonkers challenge called "Marcathon" which involves running for at least 25 minutes or 3 miles every day in December. This ticked off day 24 of 31. Fellow Marcathon participant Ian Goudie was only narrowly ahead, also clocking in the 23s.

By the time I had warmed down, Kirsty had handed in her own barcode and offered me a scone and a hot drink in the Burrell Cafe. I was in no great hurry and in a happy mood so accepted and relaxed for a wee half hour with a caramel cake and coffee chatting to various Parkrunners including regular blog reader Suzanne McMahon (hello if you're reading) and doing my best to answer questions such as "how did you go so fast?" I'm on the tab for Kirsty at the Burrell next time.

In the afternoon, Queen's Park were playing on Christmas Eve for the first time since 1988. Back then, Queen's defeated Arbroath 2-0 at Hampden with goals from Crooks and O'Brien. Current Cambuslang Harriers coach Michael Hendry started the game for Queen's that day. The Third Division's bottom side East Stirling provided the opposition at a wet, blustery Hampden before a crowd of 502. Queen's enjoyed the best of the play and a goal duly arrived when Longworth played Smith through on goal. Shire keeper Antell blocked his effort with the rebound pounced on by Ian Watt. 1-0 Queen's at half time. It was then very nearly a merrier Christmas as my Dad was one digit away from scooping over £100 in the half time draw.

Above: Queen's Park v East Stirling. Queen's (black and white) prepare to defend a corner.

Above: keeping warm at half time.

Queen's continued to keep control in the second half. Antell was having a great game in the Shire goal. You're never relaxed though with only one goal. A second finally came when Smith was played through again, this time by Anderson. His shot deflected off a defender, into the air above Antell's head and over the line.

Any time I've seen Queen's win this year, it's been with some conviction. This was no different. Shire substitute Lurinsky was presented with a late chance which Queen's keeper Parry blocked to keep his goal intact and leave the away side crying into their turkey.

The result puts Queen's into 4th, a play off spot. Touch wood, we're looking in decent shape for the trip to Fir Park to face Motherwell in the Scottish Cup on 7th January.

Queen's Park team: Parry, McGinn, Little, Brough, Meggat (Burns, sub in 87 mins), McBride (Gallagher, sub in 31 mins), Longworth, Anderson, Watt, Smith (Daly, sub in 87 mins), Murray, Subs not used: Strain (goalkeeper), Ronald.

No comments:

Post a Comment