Tuesday 22 November 2011

Brampton to Carlisle 10 Mile Road Race, 19th November 2011

"The Brampton" is a Calderglen Harriers tradition. Since the club's formation in 1984, it has been an annual trip. One member, Charlie Steven, has been present for all 27 of the Harriers' visits. Another, Gerry Mullen, has clocked up 26. Others have varying degrees of longevity. I'm at the shorter end having been twice, clocking 57:07 for 23rd place in 2007 and 56:34 for 11th in 2008. After a 3 year absence, Calderglen were kind enough to allow me back.

With such a long history of attendance, Calderglen have the organisation to an art form. An 8.30am departure (the race starts at 12.30pm) is followed by a 45 minute tea/coffee/late breakfast stop at Gretna then a short hop over Hadrians Wall to Brampton, photos and warm up, the race, post race drink in Carlisle then the UK's narrowest hotel, the Star Hotel in Moffat, for dinner then homeward bound. The road to Gretna includes a sweep, £1 a head, where you predict your finishing time. The closest wins the cash. 50:48 was my wild stab in the dark. Still feeling peckish after breakfast, I had a roll and sausage, shortbread and a black coffee at Gretna. 2 and a half hours until the race, plenty time.

After number and race chip collection at the Howard School in Brampton, it was time for priorities- photos and make up. One Harrier, George Stewart, was having face paint in Calderglen colours of yellow and black applied by another Harrier Joanne McEvoy, present in a spectating capacity. Egged on by some other non-runners, I succumbed to the temptation and, 15 minutes before the start, was having red and white stripes applied to my cheeks with the reassurance that it washed off. On my ugly mug, anything constitutes an improvement. Try and keep it a secret. 

Overcome by this hilarity, I reminded myself I actually had a race to run and headed for the rather conjested start line for the start of Britain's oldest 10 mile road race. The first 5 editions, from 1951 to 1955 were around 8.5 miles, all won by a Carlisle resident, Bill Boak. The great Ron Hill won in 1974 with a time of 46:40 while the course record of 45:50 was set by a chap called Nick Sloane the following year. The 2010 winner, James Douglas of Border Harriers, was in the field this year.

The race begins on a downhill slope then takes a sharp right out of Brampton. Knowing this, I took up position to the extreme right on the line and started faster than I normally would to get away from the crowds and negotiate the turn unhindered. It worked as I went into the lead. However, the prospect of a solo 10 miles didn't appeal so I wasn't concerned to be joined by James Douglas, Ian Harding of Morpeth Harriers and Durham's Michael Crawley (21st in the Scottish 4km Cross Country running for Corstorphine). The African figure of Yared Hagos (Wallsend Harriers) also appeared but soon disappeared into the sunset on his way to a winning time of 47:51.

After starting fast, I saw no point in easing back and pushed the pace quite hard in the pack including the gamble of doing so up a hill between 2 and 3 miles. I checked the watch at 3 miles. 14:45. Yikes. The pace had given me a gap in 2nd but I was under great pressure from behind. Hagos was away so I was now running blind. Most of the course is through rural country roads passing through a couple of picturesque Cumbrian villages. I focussed on gaining any advantage I could such as running tight into corners to cover the shortest route. Another thing I did was ignore the water stations. On a crisp November afternoon, I considered fluid unnecessary. The main reason though was I didn't want to pour water over my head and smudge my face paint. I had also read in Charlie Spedding's book that apparently accelerating past a water station works. I did this at each and every one.

I clocked up the miles at a rate that even amazed me. 5 miles in 24:50 something (a personal best). 10k in 31:03 (having a kilometre mark among the mile ones is quite unusual). 8 miles in 40:20. Another nasty hill is thrown in between 8 and 9 miles. The last 2 miles were horrible. By now, you are entering more urban territory and have more traffic and pedestrians to negotiate. Calderglen coach Alan Derrick shouted encouragement and grabbed a photo as I battled on to the finish at the Sands Sports Centre in Carlisle.

Above: "where's the pub?"- the final mile, looking ready to cry- I refused to smudge my make up though. Photo courtesy of Alan Derrick. Make up courtesy of Joanne McEvoy.

Amateur make up artist Joanne and numerous others gave me a shout as I crossed a bridge towards Carlisle city centre, taking a left turn before I hit the shops, into the finish, and 2nd place in 50:42, a new personal best by over 2 minutes. Ian Haining joined me 4 seconds later then James Douglas (51:04). After exchanging congratulations, I went off for a warm down and to cheer more folk in. David Watt, a Scottish international and 65 minute half marathon runner at his peak, was first Calderglen finisher in 56:03 and second vet over 50. Former East Kilbride resident Louise Beveridge (Dundee Hawkhill Harriers) was first lady finisher from our bus in 65 minutes, 12th female overall.

While the others headed to the nearest pub, I joined a few other Harriers at the prize giving to collect my £100 second prize. The lengthy affair ended in time for the bus departing for Moffat. At least it gave me time to have my lunch. I made sure I was among the first into the Star Hotel's bar to make up for lost time. Pints before, during and after dinner, compounded by the earlier physical exertion, rendered me fairly "refreshed" by the time of the return leg to East Kilbride. Amazingly, being only 6 seconds away from my prediction did not win me the sweep. Someone was within 4 seconds. If only I'd listened to my body and eased off in the last mile.

We arrived back around 9pm. I had another pint and a half "for the road" at Calderglen's Sports Club to round off as good a day out as I've had in a long time.

For another account of proceedings by Alan Derrick, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment