Monday 2 May 2011

800m in the Sun

Before I begin, here is a taste of what is to come on this blog in the coming weeks:-

1. A few words and photos from the WWE Wrestlemania Revenge Tour show at Braehead Arena on 13th April.

2. As a follow up to the 1-1 draw on 18th December, a report on Queen's Park's 1-0 win over Elgin City on 9th April.

3. A bit more about my athletics pre-Cambuslang, including the parts played by Whitemoss AAC and Calderglen Harriers.

4. My training up to the Bristol 10k on 15th May, provided I get the performance I'm looking for.

Bristol is the first of this summer's twin targets. Touch wood, training is going extremely well. Two back to back holiday weekends have been a god send because the time off work has seen me manage double sessions four times. Races are playing their part in that preparation and, following my time of 1:59.35 at the Mens League, I've tackled two more 800m with good results.

Linwood Open Graded Meeting, Wednesday 27th April

Above, with sunglasses: officiating during a league meeting at Linwood in 2008. I ran a 3000m steeplechase earlier in the day.

The concept of an open graded meeting is you turn up, enter a race giving your personal best performance and you are placed in a race with athletes of similar ability regardless of age (and gender sometimes). So you can end up with some interesting races. I drove to Linwood straight from work for this which is not always ideal because I find getting out of work mode and motivating myself hard in these circumstances.

It was a perfect night with not a breath of wind. My 10 day old personal best earned me a place in heat 1 of the 800m. I recognised a couple of faces, Inverclyde's Craig Ruddy and Lee Wilson of Victoria Park/City of Glasgow. I was allocated lane 1 which wasn't great. I ran as hard as I could, going through 400m in 58 seconds. However, the other 7 athletes were simply going too quickly for me. I couldn't get close enough to make it a contest so, despite a good time of 2:00.24, I felt a little deflated trailing in last. A chat with Cambuslang coach Mike Johnston afterwards made me feel a bit better.

I then went an easy 2.5 mile warm down before going home. The down side of these meetings is the time knock on effect. I got home at 9.30pm carrying running gear, a suit, briefcase and holdall for a late dinner of haggis, neeps and tatties, home made in the microwave.

Central and South of Scotland League Division 2 Match 1, Scotstoun, Glasgow, Sunday 1st May

Training continued and, the day before this, I ran the Glasgow Parkrun to try out new racing shoes. I clocked 16:08 for the 5km but this included a detour off course which cost me at least half a minute. I didn't take the barcode which records your result so it won't appear. Somehow Mike still knew I had been there!

This was the first time I had been to Scotstoun since it had reopened following renovation and what I saw impressed me. What didn't impress me so much was the gale force wind on the track home straight. I didn't want my third 800m this year to be my slowest.

I found myself in a strange situation because both Cambuslang (my first claim club) and Whitemoss (my second claim club) were in the same division. This meant I would be competing directly against Whitemoss for the first time, a club which, as you will read in a future post, has been and remains a big part of my athletics life. I'm still on the committee as Mens League team manager after all.

I exchanged a bit of banter with friends and acquaintances from both sides before my 800m. I had lane 2 this time, a slight improvement. Some advice from Mike helped me formulate a race plan. I found myself a distant 2nd after 100m behind Kilbarchan athlete Craig Stuart who has a best 400m time of 48 seconds and is apparently stepping up in distance. That was the advice- don't belt after him. Sure enough, he went through 400m in 51 seconds while I was 58 seconds. I was determined to beat my Linwood time and dug in to do so. I surprised myself at how well I coped with the wind and was delighted to clock my second sub 2 minute 800m- 1:59.7. I exchanged handshakes with Craig Stuart who won in 1:55.9. This means I clocked a faster second lap than him- 61 seconds compared to his 64.

I rounded the afternoon off with a 20 minute jog warm down on part of the McAndrew Road Relay route (see my race report in October 2010) then headed home quite satisfied with another good day's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment