Friday 11 March 2011

Big Breakthrough At Last

A major development occurred at the start of this week which changed my running plans. I was extremely drained physically and mentally after the UK Inter Counties Cross Country and indeed spent a chunk of the bus journey back from Birmingham telling clubmate Charlie Thomson how clapped out I felt and how much I was looking forward to a fortnight's break before turning my attention to the track and roads during the summer months. I jogged for an hour the following day then settled back to watch Liverpool v Manchester United on Sky and toast my temporary retirement.

During this I happened to check my emails on my mobile. There was one from Mike Johnston, Cambuslang Harriers coach and Scottish Athletics National Endurance Manager. Would you be interested and available to run for Scotland in the Home Countries Cross Country International in Antrim on 26th March?

And so it happens I have accepted the offer and am now poised to make my full international debut against teams from the other three home nations in Northern Ireland. This will be my first full Scottish vest at any age group during my 15 years in athletics. I'm totally gobsmacked. This has obviously put the post-winter/pre-summer rest on hold. As I've said, Birmingham left me drained so, apart from Monday's track session, which wasn't done at full tilt either, I've prescribed myself relaxed running this week, a full, proper Winter training week next week then an ease down leading up to the race. Hopefully it will pay off.

I will be joined in the four man Scottish team by clubmate Chris Wilson who is himself earning his first Scottish call up. Cambuslang Harriers making up half of the team cannot be bad.

1 comment:

  1. Well done and well deserved. you must be bursting with pride I know i would be :0)

    ReplyDelete