Sunday 20 February 2011

Training Pre-National

Yesterday saw me run the Scottish National Cross Country Championships at Callendar Park in Falkirk, the finale of several months of winter training and racing. I achieved my best ever finish of 9th place, fulfilling my pre-race top 10 target in the process. Cambuslang also won team bronze. Earning my first ever National Cross Country medal at the age of 27 is a wonderful feeling.

A separate report, and photos, will follow but, for now, here is my training in the 3 weeks leading to the race starting with the day after the National 4km Cross Country.

Week Commencing Monday 31st January

Monday: Track, 8 x 600m, 200m slow jog recoveries, all 1:46-1:49, 8 miles approx including warm up and warm down.
Tuesday: Club, Hampden run in reverse, 8 miles easy (49:52).
Wednesday: Tempo run, 8 miles (44:36), 6 minute jog warm down.
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Hill reps, High Point, 10 reps, 5.5-6 miles approx including warm up and warm down.
Saturday: 5-5.5 miles easy on grass at Callendar Park, Falkirk
Sunday: Longer run, 20 minutes easy then 5 mins, 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins, 5 mins, 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins, all with 5 min jog recoveries, continuous run, 15.5-16 miles (1:42:09)

Mileage: 51

I started the week very tired after the Sunday race. On Wednesday, my legs were still heavy. We had incessant wind and rain on Thursday. This, coupled with my jaded state, saw me take the night off and nail the hill session on Friday when, to be honest, the weather wasn't much better. I felt good after doing it. I skipped the Glasgow training session on Saturday to do a pre-race familiarisation run at the National venue. Sunday was one of my Spedding interval runs at Whitelee Windfarm. I felt absoloutely brilliant during it. The pace was great, even on the easy sections. I was flowing so well and confidently.

Week Commencing Monday 7th February

Monday: Track, 10 x 500m, 200m slow jog recoveries, times- 1:27-1:30, 8-8.5 miles including warm up and warm down.
Tuesday: High tempo, 5 miles (27:59), 4:30 jog warm down.
Wednesday: 8.5-9 miles easy (54:48).
Thursday: Race, Armagh International 5km Road Race- 27th in 14:52.
Friday: 5.7 miles very easy (48:02), Gosford Forest Park, Armagh.
Saturday: 7 x 3 minutes, 90 second recoveries, Navan Mount, Armagh, 6.5-7 miles including warm up and warm down.
Sunday: Longer run, 20 minutes easy then 5 mins, 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins, 5 mins, 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins, all with 5 min jog recoveries, continuous run, 13-13.5 miles (1:28:22)

Mileage: 52

I ended up running every day this week. While not minded to ease down for Armagh, I felt a 5 mile tempo run was sufficient. I followed it up with an easy run through Calderglen Park and country roads on Wednesday morning before flying out to Armagh in the afternoon. This also gave me a good recovery period until the race which wasn't until 8.30pm on Thursday night. We joined a few of the English and Welsh athletes for a run on Friday. My legs felt terrible and I turned down the offer to run for another 20 minutes on top of what I'd done. I opted for a swim and sauna at the hotel later instead. I felt a lot better during our cross country session on Saturday. Our warm down was a 2 mile run back to the hotel carrying our back packs! Sunday was another set of Spedding intervals at Whitelee Windfarm. I didn't feel the need to go overboard on distance. An hour and a half was plenty.

Week Commencing Monday 14th February

Largely self explanatory.

Monday: Track, 10 x 400m and 2 x 200m, all with 200m slow jog recoveries, 400s- 68-70 seconds, 200s- 32-35 seconds, 6-6.5 miles including warm up and warm down.
Tuesday: Club, shortened Hampden run, 6 miles approx easy (43:19).
Wednesday: Hill reps, High Point, 4 reps, 4-4.5 miles including warm up and warm down.
Thursday: 4 miles- mile hard, mile easy, mile hard, mile easy, 5:12 and 5:07 for the hard miles, 22:49 overall for the 4 miles.
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Race, Scottish National Cross Country Championships, Falkirk, 12km- 9th in 40:21 (winner- Derek Hawkins of Kilbarchan, 38:45).
Sunday: 1 hour easy- all I had the energy to do.

Mileage: 37 approx

No comments:

Post a Comment